Flying Tadpole

No, Scout...you've just deomnstrated your legless state, that's all.

Flying Tadpole

Scout wrote:
I knew that sooner or later I'd emerge as Taddy.
Sorry, sorry everyone.

DSK

You could draw an analogy to Cyrano's fight for principles regardless of
the odds, to tilting at windmills but the latter is usually taken to
mean something which is meaningless folly. One of the differences
between Don Quixote and Cyrano is that while it is uncertain whether el
Don is driven mad or avoiding madness by play-acting, while Cyrano is
the ultimate self-actualized personality. His sanity is never in doubt.

So, I appreciate your point Gilligan but don't really agree.

DSK

Gilligan wrote:
The windmills are acknowledged in the death scene as Cyrano sums up his
life:

CYRANO:
Why, I well believe
He dares to mock my nose? Ho! insolent!
(He raises his sword):
What say you? It is useless? Ay, I know
But who fights ever hoping for success?
------------------------Right here and the next line
I fought for lost cause, and for fruitless quest!
You there, who are you!--You are thousands!
Ah!
I know you now, old enemies of mine!
Falsehood!
(He strikes in air with his sword):
Have at you! Ha! and Compromise!
Prejudice, Treachery!. . .
(He strikes):
Surrender, I?
Parley? No, never! You too, Folly,--you?
I know that you will lay me low at last;
Let be! Yet I fall fighting, fighting still!
(He makes passes in the air, and stops, breathless):
You strip from me the laurel and the rose!
Take all! Despite you there is yet one thing
I hold against you all, and when, to-night,
I enter Christ's fair courts, and, lowly bowed,
Sweep with doffed casque the heavens' threshold blue,
One thing is left, that, void of stain or smutch,
I bear away despite you.

(He springs forward, his sword raised; it falls from his hand; he staggers,
falls back into the arms of Le Bret and Ragueneau.)

ROXANE (bending and kissing his forehead):
'Tis?. . .

CYRANO (opening his eyes, recognizing her, and smiling):
MY PANACHE.

Curtain.

DSK

"Scout" wrote...
Doug,
how did you come to have such an extensive background in literature?

(bowing) thank you, sir. With luminaries such as yourself and Tadpole
here, I'm barely qualified to be an appreciative onlooker.

katysails wrote:
all those years closeted in the engine room of some dismal ship?

Sometimes it's best to seek illumination far from the sun.

Regards
Doug King

Gilligan

A well thought out reply Doug and you hit why we differ in opinion right on
the head. Tilting at windmills is regarded as meaningless folly. The
question is: "Regarded by whom?" To Don Quixote it was not meaningless
folly, but the carrying out of his highest principles. To others it may seem
meaningless. So the question to you is: who decides if one's life is
meaningful and by what standard? I say it is up to the individual. As long
as he does not violate the basic inalienable rights that belong to all
humans, it is the individual's decision and standards that apply to his
life. Only an individual can decide what gives him happiness and meaning.
Look at Goldwater's run for the Presidency. He knew he was going to lose. He
still ran and ran as himself. He lost big time, but he opened the door for
the real Conservative movement (not Bush's "conservatism). Tilting at
windmills?

.. .

Gilligan wrote:
[...]

DSK

Gilligan wrote:
A well thought out reply Doug and you hit why we differ in opinion right on
the head. Tilting at windmills is regarded as meaningless folly. The
question is: "Regarded by whom?"

Good point

... So the question to you is: who decides if one's life is
meaningful and by what standard? I say it is up to the individual. As long
as he does not violate the basic inalienable rights that belong to all
humans, it is the individual's decision and standards that apply to his
life. Only an individual can decide what gives him happiness and meaning.

Agreed!

Look at Goldwater's run for the Presidency. He knew he was going to lose.

I dunno, seems to me he & many of his supporters harbored some slim hope
that maybe it would happen. One of the things I like about Goldwater is
that he thoroughly opposed & detested the Nixon/ratf###-******* wing of
the Republican Party.

... He
still ran and ran as himself. He lost big time, but he opened the door for
the real Conservative movement (not Bush's "conservatism). Tilting at
windmills?

I hope not. Is Kerry's run for the Presidency in the same class, when he
almost won?

BTW there has been a genuine Conservative presence in American politics
since the beginning. Of course, they have to fight for a seat on the
right among the Royalists, and now the outright brownshirts. It just
goes to show you how common sense really is rather uncommon.

DSK

Lady Pilot

"Gilligan" wrote:

The good Capt's fine blue water cruiser is simply a means to an end, not
the
end itself. The good Capt's posts should be judged on content. They are
congruent with Thoreau's writings. His method is much simpler, for it
consumes no paper, no middle man as did Thoreau's books. Thoreau did not
make his shovels,axes, etc.

Didn't Thoreau's family own a pencil factory?

Capt Neal is no slave to his property, his property offers no burden, for
it
is an extension of him.

But unlike Capt. Neal, Thoreau never suggested that *his* way was the best
way for everyone to live.

LP

Be Like Capt. Neal Lonny Bruce ASA 1 February 12th 05 03:00 PM
Capt. Neal vs Lady Pilot. Capt. Neal® ASA 3 February 7th 05 11:35 PM
Kudos to Capt Neal Gilligan ASA 28 December 9th 04 08:12 PM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
I'm much better than Capt Neal! Bobsprit ASA 27 November 4th 03 10:36 PM