katysails

There's someone here who's civil (besides you, that is)?

"Scout" wrote in message
you left out the part about "Don Quixote, gone wrong"

This particular personality is mean spirited, selfish, misogynistic,
racist, ostensibly mis-informed, over-reactive, defensive, insecure, and
worst of all, cowardly. He is nothing more than a blustering hot wind. He
is not Don Quixote afterall, he is the Cowardly Lion!

He is an invention, a cathartic adventure for some other here whose
monogram is a paper thin mask of civility.
Scout

"Gilligan" wrote in message
nk.net...
The good Capt is quite nicely embodied in the spirit of Don Quixote
especially as we near the 400th anniversary of such fine literature.

Despite the worn out horse and the tattered clothes he carried himself
with
the air of nobility and the duty to serve the down trodden and fight
evil.

Yes, we can find the good Capt in all that Don Quixote, Cyrano and
Thoreau
represent! All principled men who pursued ideals and judged themselves by
their own standards.

You are all jealous of that spirit which is his and could have been
yours.

Ay, and then?. . .
Seek a protector, choose a patron out,
And like the crawling ivy round a tree
That licks the bark to gain the trunk's support,
Climb high by creeping ruse instead of force?
No, grammercy! What! I, like all the rest
Dedicate verse to bankers?--play buffoon
In cringing hope to see, at last, a smile
Not disapproving, on a patron's lips?
Grammercy, no! What! learn to swallow toads?
--With frame aweary climbing stairs?--a skin
Grown grimed and horny,--here, about the knees?
And, acrobat-like, teach my back to bend?--
No, grammercy! Or,--double-faced and sly--
Run with the hare, while hunting with the hounds;
And, oily-tongued, to win the oil of praise,
Flatter the great man to his very nose?
No, grammercy! Steal soft from lap to lap,
--A little great man in a circle small,
Or navigate, with madrigals for sails,
Blown gently windward by old ladies' sighs?
No, grammercy! Bribe kindly editors
To spread abroad my verses? Grammercy!
Or try to be elected as the pope
Of tavern-councils held by imbeciles?
No, grammercy! Toil to gain reputation
By one small sonnet, 'stead of making many?
No, grammercy! Or flatter sorry bunglers?
Be terrorized by every prating paper?
Say ceaselessly, 'Oh, had I but the chance
Of a fair notice in the "Mercury"!'
Grammercy, no! Grow pale, fear, calculate?
Prefer to make a visit to a rhyme?
Seek introductions, draw petitions up?
No, grammercy! and no! and no again! But--sing?
Dream, laugh, go lightly, solitary, free,
With eyes that look straight forward--fearless voice!
To cock your beaver just the way you choose,--
For 'yes' or 'no' show fight, or turn a rhyme!
--To work without one thought of gain or fame,
To realize that journey to the moon!
Never to pen a line that has not sprung
Straight from the heart within. Embracing then
Modesty, say to oneself, 'Good my friend,
Be thou content with flowers,--fruit,--nay, leaves,
But pluck them from no garden but thine own!'
And then, if glory come by chance your way,
To pay no tribute unto Caesar, none,
But keep the merit all your own! In short,
Disdaining tendrils of the parasite,
To be content, if neither oak nor elm--
Not to mount high, perchance, but mount alone!

Gilligan

"gonefishiing" wrote in message
Scout,
you beat me too it by a few milli-seconds.

the comparision to cervante is perhaps very close to neal's presentation

of
the world.
complete with a worn out horse (a coronado 27), his very own Panza
(gilligan), and apparently his own Dulcinea de Tobosa (by his
account......in fact many)...... .....and then of course the tilting at
windmills (not even world class sailors can compare to his
(mis)adventures
aboard his fine yacht).

as i see it there are really only 2 possiblities for neal.
as you imply, he may simply be incredibily stupid .
yet something tells me otherwise:
more than likely this kind of complete stupidty and (dis)illusioned

behavior
cannot occur without real effort and genius.

...........although there are some here that genuinely come close.
very close.

gf.

"Scout" wrote in message
I think he is more like a Don Quixote gone wrong.
Scout

katysails

Oh goody....can I do the torture part????

"Flying Tadpole" wrote in message

Scout wrote:
you left out the part about "Don Quixote, gone wrong"

This particular personality is mean spirited, selfish, misogynistic,
racist, ostensibly mis-informed, over-reactive, defensive, insecure, and
worst of all, cowardly. He is nothing more than a blustering hot wind. He
is not Don Quixote afterall, he is the Cowardly Lion!

He is an invention, a cathartic adventure for some other here whose
monogram is a paper thin mask of civility.
Scout

Name them!! Name them!!
--
Salem Tadpole

-------------------------
http://www.ace.net.au/schooner
http://music.download.com/internetopera

katysails

Scout,
Spring will be here soon...maybe warmer weather will help...

"Scout" wrote in message
"Flying Tadpole" wrote in message
Scout wrote:
"Flying Tadpole" wrote
[snip]

The world can know and judge one instantaneously.

and that's the pity of it!
Scout

There IS no pity.
There IS no justice.

I refuse to believe that you believe that!
I have seen pity on this very site! I have felt pity here as well.
As for justice ~ it is merely the last course at a fine banquet.
Scout

Flying Tadpole

You _want_to be burnt????

Scout wrote:

[...]

http://www.soundclick.com/flyingtadpolemusic.htm
Gilligan

"Scout" wrote in message

As for justice ~ it is merely the last course at a fine banquet.

For you maybe. Here, ASA is merely a buffet and justice is usually served
cold.

Gilligan

Gilligan

"Scout" wrote in message
you left out the part about "Don Quixote, gone wrong"

This particular personality is mean spirited, selfish, misogynistic,

racist,
ostensibly mis-informed, over-reactive, defensive, insecure, and worst of
all, cowardly. He is nothing more than a blustering hot wind.

Well, what if it be my vice,
My pleasure to displease--to love men hate me!
Ah, friend of mine, believe me, I march better
'Neath the cross-fire of glances inimical!
How droll the stains one sees on fine-laced doublets,
From gall of envy, or the poltroon's drivel!
--The enervating friendship which enfolds you
Is like an open-laced Italian collar,
Floating around your neck in woman's fashion;
One is at ease thus,--but less proud the carriage!
The forehead, free from mainstay or coercion,
Bends here, there, everywhere. But I, embracing
Hatred, she lends,--forbidding, stiffly fluted,
The ruff's starched folds that hold the head so rigid;
Each enemy--another fold--a gopher,
Who adds constraint, and adds a ray of glory;
For Hatred, like the ruff worn by the Spanish,
Grips like a vice, but frames you like a halo!

He is not Don
Quixote afterall, he is the Cowardly Lion!

You can do better than that.

He is an invention, a cathartic adventure for some other here whose

monogram
is a paper thin mask of civility.

Explain your use of "monogram". You forgot to read the introduction or do
you really believe that civility walks hand in hand with "not mincing words
to spare the thin skinned or ignorant"?

Scout

"Scout" wrote in message
I think he is more like a Don Quixote gone wrong.
Scout

DSK

ostensibly mis-informed, over-reactive, defensive, insecure, and worst of
all, cowardly. He is nothing more than a blustering hot wind.

And those are his good points

Gilligan wrote:
Well, what if it be my vice,
My pleasure to displease--to love men hate me!
Ah, friend of mine, believe me, I march better
'Neath the cross-fire of glances inimical!
How droll the stains one sees on fine-laced doublets,
From gall of envy, or the poltroon's drivel!
--The enervating friendship which enfolds you
Is like an open-laced Italian collar,
Floating around your neck in woman's fashion;
One is at ease thus,--but less proud the carriage!
The forehead, free from mainstay or coercion,
Bends here, there, everywhere. But I, embracing
Hatred, she lends,--forbidding, stiffly fluted,
The ruff's starched folds that hold the head so rigid;
Each enemy--another fold--a gopher,
Who adds constraint, and adds a ray of glory;
For Hatred, like the ruff worn by the Spanish,
Grips like a vice, but frames you like a halo!

My God, that was beautiful! I couldn't bear to snip any of it for
brevity's sake.

But aren't you mixing your metaphorical characters a bit too freely? I
mean, Cyrano ne'er tilted any windbagmills no matter slow or fine they
grind.

DSK

Scout

"Gilligan" wrote
Well, what if it be my vice,
My pleasure to displease--to love men hate me!

So sad ~ these words!
Preemptive scorn is scorn of self and fear of self-worthlessness!
Why does Captain Neal doubt himself so?

He is not Don
Quixote afterall, he is the Cowardly Lion!

You can do better than that.

How so? The Cowardly Lion is one of the most complex characters in
literature!
William Jennings Bryan was a right-winged, opinionated, blustering bully.
He was smart and talented, but at best, history will remember him as a
tragic hero; the primary cause of his own failure.

He is an invention, a cathartic adventure for some other here whose

monogram
is a paper thin mask of civility.

Explain your use of "monogram". You forgot to read the introduction or do
you really believe that civility walks hand in hand with "not mincing
words
to spare the thin skinned or ignorant"?

Simply this: CN is very likely a darker personna of some regular poster here
who, having earned the respect of the group, does not feel free to expose
his troglodytic tenets under that same name.
Does *Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde* ring a bell?

Scout

Scout

"Flying Tadpole" wrote
Scout wrote:
you left out the part about "Don Quixote, gone wrong"

This particular personality is mean spirited, selfish, misogynistic,
racist, ostensibly mis-informed, over-reactive, defensive, insecure, and
worst of all, cowardly. He is nothing more than a blustering hot wind. He
is not Don Quixote afterall, he is the Cowardly Lion!

He is an invention, a cathartic adventure for some other here whose
monogram is a paper thin mask of civility.
Scout

Name them!! Name them!!
Salem Tadpole

I THINK YOU KNOW!
Scout

Be Like Capt. Neal Lonny Bruce ASA 1 February 12th 05 03:00 PM
Capt. Neal vs Lady Pilot. Capt. Neal® ASA 3 February 7th 05 11:35 PM
Kudos to Capt Neal Gilligan ASA 28 December 9th 04 08:12 PM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
I'm much better than Capt Neal! Bobsprit ASA 27 November 4th 03 10:36 PM