SAIL LOCO

Often times they retire early because the company wants very badly to clear
out
the poison dead wood. It's not entirely voluntary. LowCow was PUSHED out.

Yea, that's me. Oh, and I didn't want to move to the West coast.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"
Bobsprit

Often times they retire early because the company wants very badly to clear
out
the poison dead wood. It's not entirely voluntary. LowCow was PUSHED out.

Yea, that's me.

Bit by bit we learn the truth about Loco and his bitterness. I take no pleasure
in it.

RB

Bobsprit

BillBob seems really jealous. I guess there's no retirement plan from
e-bay.

Ebay has a great retirement plan, but I don't work for them.

RB
Scott Vernon

Says he anchored off Kitty Hawk for the night. Guess he just anchored
off shore a bit? pulled anchor, somehow got the rhode wrapped around
prop and started washing towards shore. Looks like he unrolled the jib
to try and sail. Notice the boom is in the companion way?

Scotty

"Seahag" wrote in message

"John Cairns" wrote
"Scott Vernon" wrote:
Says he was anchored and the rhode wrapped on the prop. No other
anchor? He's got the jib out?

"John Cairns" wrote:

To look at it it seems he must have been asleep or something?

Weird. Like
haggy says, definitely should have had a second anchor. Or paid a

delivery
skipper.
Great link!

Where the heck did he anchor off Hatteras anyway?

Seahag

Scott Vernon

"DSK" wrote

It appears so... it says he anchored "off Kitty Hawk" and that's a

long
way from any inlet.

Can a sailboat go in Oregon Inlet?

SV

Bobsprit

Says he anchored off Kitty Hawk for the night. Guess he just anchored
off shore a bit? pulled anchor, somehow got the rhode wrapped around
prop and started washing towards shore. Looks like he unrolled the jib
to try and sail.

Better still, his anchor was set wrong or the line parted. He drifted close to
shore while still sleeping. Hearing the wash of the shoreline he popped his
head out and saw the problem. He started the engine without thinking and the
line snaked around the shaft. Getting a bit panicky, he started to take the
cover off the main. The shoreline was really close now and he felt the first
real swell lift his boat up. He quickly popped the genoa and found that he was
now making some progress, but each swell still brought him closer. He tried a
tack and lost even more ground in the light winds. He ran forward, remembering
the spare anchor. He pulled in the old line. The boat lurched and heeled
slightly as the keel slid into soft sand for the first time. Wind now filled
the genoa again and he raced back to the helm, filled with hope. But it was
only a false wind created by the boats recovery from the momentary grounding.
At this point a large swell pushed the boat well into the sand and she was
floating on her side. The pics tell the rest.

RB
Nav

" Crapton... I am hoping
you will engage booby and put in straight on a couple of things. For
example, while you were away I argued that a good sailor does not put
his mainsail cover on unless the mooring is very secure as he needs to
be able to set sail in a hurry if conditions deteriorate and his

anchor starts to drag. "

Capt Neal Replied:

"..
As for the question of putting on a sail cover there are a
couple things to consider. The first is how close one is
anchored to a lee shore. In that case the cover(s) should stay
off when one is anchored unless one is aboard and mindful of
the weather. They should be taken off when the sun goes down.
The sails should be gasketed but otherwise ready to loft. This
means sheets, halyards, etc. attached and secured. The anchors
should be buoyed in case they have to be set free in order
facilitate later retrieval. A couple of spare anchors should
be at the ready for immediate deployment as well. This follows
my philosophy of aways staying a step or two above the
reaction level."

But of course there were people here who said we were wrong. My case rests.

Cheers MC

Scott Vernon wrote:
this out.

http://www.surfkdh.com/sailboat.htm

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

Seahag

Well, I don't suppose he'll be out there again anytime soon. One less moron
for the real sailors to deal with.

Seahag

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
Says he anchored off Kitty Hawk for the night. Guess he just anchored
off shore a bit? pulled anchor, somehow got the rhode wrapped around
prop and started washing towards shore. Looks like he unrolled the jib
to try and sail. Notice the boom is in the companion way?

Scotty

"Seahag" wrote in message

"John Cairns" wrote:

To look at it it seems he must have been asleep or something?

Weird. Like
haggy says, definitely should have had a second anchor. Or paid a

delivery
skipper.
Great link!

Where the heck did he anchor off Hatteras anyway?

Seahag

Brand new? Check the dates. Gogarty Cruising 0 August 26th 04 08:25 PM
Need special check valve or water pump Karl Timmermann Electronics 6 June 15th 04 11:37 AM
Hey Lloyd! Check this steam boat out! Backyard Renegade Boat Building 4 March 7th 04 03:37 AM
Reality check Skip Gundlach Cruising 10 January 19th 04 04:51 PM
Lake Travis radio check [email protected] General 1 August 11th 03 10:48 PM