Scott Vernon

touché`

"Nav" wrote in message

" Crapton... I am hoping
you will engage booby and put in straight on a couple of things.

For
example, while you were away I argued that a good sailor does not

put
his mainsail cover on unless the mooring is very secure as he

needs to
be able to set sail in a hurry if conditions deteriorate and his

anchor starts to drag. "

Capt Neal Replied:

"..
As for the question of putting on a sail cover there are a
couple things to consider. The first is how close one is
anchored to a lee shore. In that case the cover(s) should stay
off when one is anchored unless one is aboard and mindful of
the weather. They should be taken off when the sun goes down.
The sails should be gasketed but otherwise ready to loft. This
means sheets, halyards, etc. attached and secured. The anchors
should be buoyed in case they have to be set free in order
facilitate later retrieval. A couple of spare anchors should
be at the ready for immediate deployment as well. This follows
my philosophy of aways staying a step or two above the
reaction level."

But of course there were people here who said we were wrong. My case

rests.

Cheers MC

Scott Vernon wrote:
this out.