Bobsprit

You could use a
higher dollar value when you're doing any searches, there is usually a big
difference between the asking/selling price

John is correct on this. When searching for a 50K boat, you can actually look
at 60-65K and be reasonably secure that you'll still be in the ballpark. It
varries by range and builder, of course.

RB
Pony Express

"Donal" wrote in message
:
: "Pony Express"
wrote in message
:
k.net...
: Donal,
: Scotty only been gone a week, but it's obvious
: that you miss him.
: S.
:
: Is he sailing?

Yes.
:
:
: I wonder if Bob will ever go sailing for a
week??

No.

:
: Regards
:
: Donal
: --
:
:
:

Joe

"Rob" wrote in message ...
Hi all,
Any opinions would be welcome. I'm looking to spend about $30K.

Maybe you should buy a mac :0O

Joe
Jonathan Ganz

In article ,
Bobsprit wrote:
The First won't suffer from any of these problems.

I've never sailed on a Catalina, so I cannot offer a comparison.

We have a Yamaha 30 in our teaching fleet. It looks a bit strange, but
it is well-balanced and sails well, though not as fast as others of
similar size. It seems to be well-built and had zero blisters or
problems when we hauled it recently (it had been sitting for several
years without being sailed before being donated). It has a decent
interior, but I don't think it would be suited to live-aboard.

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com

Donal

"Alan Gomes" wrote in message
I have the standard rig, which works well for the consistently high winds

in
San Pedro (in southern California). The boat definitely likes heavy air.
Unless you really need shallow draft I'd avoid the wing keel and go for

the
deeper fin; the wings just don't point that well. In any case, the C30 is

decent, all-around good boat. It is a production boat built to a price but
I've found the quality to be pretty good even if not stellar. It doesn't
seem to have any particuclarly nasty habits under sail (at least that I've
seen thus far)--and while it is not the most nimble boat it is a solid,
stable performer that can give you a reasonable turn of speed.

Good post, Alan. You've managed to draw a clear distinction between the two
boats.

The First will be faster, but the Catalina will be more comfortable in heavy
weather.

It all depends on the type of sailing that Rob likes - an his local weather
conditions!

Regards

Donal

Capt. Mooron

"Pony Express" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Donal" wrote in message
: Is he sailing?

Yes.

Excellent.... I envy him.

:
: I wonder if Bob will ever go sailing for a
week??

No.

That is obvious....

CM

Pony Express

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in
message
:
: "Pony Express"
wrote in message
:
nk.net...
:
: "Donal" wrote in
message
: : Is he sailing?
:
: Yes.
:
: Excellent.... I envy him.

You should. Ocean time, as I heard it.
:
: :
: : I wonder if Bob will ever go sailing for a
: week??
:
: No.
:
: That is obvious....

Sorry.

:
: CM
:
:

Capt. Mooron

"Pony Express" wrote in message

You should. Ocean time, as I heard it.

Damn... now I really Hate Him! ;-)

Oh Well... it couldn't happen to a nicer guy!

I have to get back, pull the boat and return to work by the end of the
month.

I'm praying for a Lay-Off and Unemployment Insurance! :-D

CM

DSK

: Excellent.... I envy him.

Pony Express wrote:
You should. Ocean time, as I heard it.

Good for Scotty! Last I heard, he was considering going all the way
around but hadn't decided. Weather's been pretty good...

DSK

gonefishiing

I'm praying for a Lay-Off and Unemployment Insurance! :-D

CM

AHH... a goal!
sorry couldn't resist as i sit here keeping clients "happy!"

gf.