Donal

"Alan Gomes" wrote in message
news:NdKad.114411$He1.35486@attbi_s01...
I have the standard rig, which works well for the consistently high winds

in
San Pedro (in southern California). The boat definitely likes heavy air.
Unless you really need shallow draft I'd avoid the wing keel and go for

the
deeper fin; the wings just don't point that well. In any case, the C30 is

decent, all-around good boat. It is a production boat built to a price but
I've found the quality to be pretty good even if not stellar. It doesn't
seem to have any particuclarly nasty habits under sail (at least that I've
seen thus far)--and while it is not the most nimble boat it is a solid,
stable performer that can give you a reasonable turn of speed.

Good post, Alan. You've managed to draw a clear distinction between the two
boats.

The First will be faster, but the Catalina will be more comfortable in heavy
weather.

It all depends on the type of sailing that Rob likes - an his local weather
conditions!

Regards

Donal