DSK

Gilligan wrote:
I'm not familiar with the G-1 but I have a stainless Mini-14.

My understanding is that the G-1 is the same as the Mini-14 chambered
for W.308, and possibly made in a couple of other 7mm rounds. Never seen
one though.

.... The (Mini-14's) chamber is
oversized so it can fire that cheap steel cased Russian ammo no problem. My
Contender won't chamber the Russian ammo, probably because of the laquered
cases.

I would think that an oversized chamber would have accuracy issues, as
well as problems with feeding and erosion. Steel cased ammo sounds like
bad news, isn't it a problem for the ejector as well?

T/C makes some great weapons. If one shot will do the job, the Contender
is probably the best.

... Make sure along with guns you also have cigars and whiskey (single
malt).

Whiskey, check. I like to carry a variety including some single malt.
But cigars? Why?

... The FN is a fine weapon. .308 ammo is expensive nowadays.

Less so if you handload. It's almost necessary, also a major time sink,
but you can put together a much wider range of loads and tailor the
propellant. At one time I was very fond of boat-tail rounds which are
impossible to find in commercial loads.

How's your trawler doing? Have you gone on any long cruises? Do you tow a
small daysailer behind?

Right now the trawler is CASREP'ed with a bad exhaust injection elbow...
expected at around 2,000 hours which is right about where we are. I'll
replace it with a stainless one, which should outlast everything else.
The hardest part of the job is getting the exhaust hose off the outlet
barb. Should be running fine by next weekend! When are you coming by?

So far we've cruised from St Augustine up to NC, to the Chesapeake, to
Charleston SC... that included a side trip up the Waccamaw R to Conway
SC, which was very cool. We've also double or triple covered the Neuse,
Trent, Pamlico, & Pungo Rivers, locally. Lots of cool places around,
mostly very isolated & remote.

Nyet on the small daysailer, so far. We pack a canoe, though. Here is
the hull design for the sailing dinghy I'm building

http://community.webshots.com/album/82561569ZSrzNA

What do you think of the lines? The plan is to put an oversized cat rig
on it, using the leftover old mainsail from the Hunter 19, or maybe one
of my old Lightning mains. Should be fun!

Regards
Doug King

Maxprop

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message

Violent crime dropped under the Clinton administration. It's now on
the rise again... thanks to Bu**** and company.

I know, dammit. Look at all those hurricanes, thanks to Bush and company.

Max

Maxprop

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message

Good Advice Gilligan..... but no armory is complete without a .Barnet .50
cal.

Jesus, Mooron--what are you anticipating?? Or is that a "hunting gun?" :-)

Max

Vito

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote

Mr. Poodle is clearly the ignorant one. He thinks that it's ok to put
more guns on the streets.

It's not only OK, it is better to have more guns on the streets so long as
they are in the hands of competent law abiding citizens. Cities and states
with the most restrictive anti-gun laws have the worst crime rates and vice
versa. Meanwhile, states that passed versions of the Florida law allowing
concealed carry saw a drop in crime.

Remember, if there had been one armed person on each highjacked plane, 9/11
could never have happened and police would still have to get warrants to
search our homes.

Maxprop

"DSK" wrote in message

At one point in my life I had an FN-FAL. Accurate, easier to clean than
the H&K...

The FN-FAL is the supreme paramilitary weapon. High quality, accuracy, as
you pointed out, and very collectable. You should have hung onto it.

Max

Maxprop

"DSK" wrote in message

Right now the trawler is CASREP'ed with a bad exhaust injection elbow...

Guess I missed something--what trawler did you acquire, Doug?

Max

DSK

Maxprop wrote:
The FN-FAL is the supreme paramilitary weapon.

???

Actually, the select-fire (ie can be fully auto) version is the standard
issue infantry arm for many many countries. Mine was a Spanish made
single fire one... a darn nice rifle but not particularly valuable.
People looked at me funny when I went deer hunting with it.

... High quality, accuracy, as
you pointed out, and very collectable. You should have hung onto it.

You're right there, but then I've never liked to accumulate a mountain
of possessions... until I got married, I moved a lot.

DSK

DSK

Maxprop wrote:
Guess I missed something--what trawler did you acquire, Doug?

This one

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...76569411zLxjAQ

We still have the Johnson 18, which I will probably never sell.

DSK

Jonathan Ganz

Actually, that's not true. NYC is a great example. They've got extremely
strick
gun laws and violent crime is way down. Turns out California also has strict
laws and mostly won't be affected very by the Federal ban being lifted,
although
it is possible that guns of this type may be smuggled in from Nevada and
other
less restrictive states.

--
"j" ganz @@