Thom Stewart

Default Ole Thom; Bad News/Good News

Just back from the boat. Bad news I lost the Forestay. Good news I still
have the Mast.

Bad news; Micheal (Schooner Trash) will be here Saturday expecting to go
sailing. 'Was hoping to watch the "PITCH RACES" I don't think I'll have
a boat? Got a call in for the rigger but don't look good.

Ole Thom

Lady Pilot

I wish you the best in the days ahead, Thom...

You are such a sweet soul, you deserve the best! I'm sure Michael can help
you out if you don't have it fixed by then...which I bet you will.

Smooth sailing,

LP

"Thom Stewart" wrote:

Just back from the boat. Bad news I lost the Forestay. Good news I still
have the Mast.

Bad news; Micheal (Schooner Trash) will be here Saturday expecting to go
sailing. 'Was hoping to watch the "PITCH RACES" I don't think I'll have
a boat? Got a call in for the rigger but don't look good.

Ole Thom

DSK

Thom Stewart wrote:
Just back from the boat. Bad news I lost the Forestay. Good news I still
have the Mast.

Well, thank goodnes for one bit of good luck. What happened to the forestay?

Bad news; Micheal (Schooner Trash) will be here Saturday expecting to go
sailing. 'Was hoping to watch the "PITCH RACES" I don't think I'll have
a boat? Got a call in for the rigger but don't look good.

The good news is that he can help you set it back up. Hope everything
works out.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Thom Stewart

Kate,

I'm not really sure just how it happened

It may have been the inexperience of my new crew. I have the Spinnaker
Halyard tied off to the Bow Pulpit and with the Furling Head sail it
sometimes gets catch in the furling sail if you aren't careful of the
wind when furling. When we came in I seen him with the furling line on
the winch. I let out a howler. Then we did pull the sail out, freed it
from the Halyard and furled it OK. When I went down, a couple of days
later I couldn't get the sail to roll out. I did get it to roll back up.
I tried putting tension on the back stay adjuster and it went full
travel without any effect.

That was when I found out the foil end was whipping around and catching
the halyard at the Mast head. I increase Jib halyard tension, dropped
the Main in the "jacks. Turned "Pneuma" around and limped back in with
the engine.

I think the Spinnaker Halyard saved the Mast. Both by holding the sail
from unfurling and acting as a forestay.

Still waiting a call back from the rigger but I don't hold much hope
for this week-end.

It is 15 years since the mast has been down, so I can't answer you
question without wondering myself

Ole Thom

Thom Stewart

The latest on forestay.
The stay parted at the top and split the upper section of the foil about
two foot down.

The rigger got the furler assembly on the dock and started to take it
apart. It was assembled with large amounts of Loctite an each joint
required torching. Long slow labor intensive work. After two joints, I
said, "replace the furl with a new harken " Fourteen years of trouble
free service it doesn't own me anything.

New one is on order. With luck, should be installed by the end of the
month.

My Birthday Present to Me.

At 78 yrs of age it is going to be a good buy for some one. Brand new
bottom, Standing rigging overhaul. New halyards and head sail furler,
new main sail and sail cover. I'll soon have to part with my baby. Damn
old age!

Ole Thom

Flying Tadpole

OzOne wrote:

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 00:02:24 GMT, "katysails"
scribbled thusly:

Quit saying that...you aren't old...you
're just aged...like wine...or cheese....

You mean smelly?

Yeah, with blue veins and dubious furry growths and blotches on
the outer skin, possibly runny in the centre. But cultured, very
cultured!

--
Flying Tadpole

Learn what lies below the waves of cyberspace!
http://music.download.com/internetopera
http://www.internetopera.netfirms.com