Thom Stewart

Kate,

I'm not really sure just how it happened

It may have been the inexperience of my new crew. I have the Spinnaker
Halyard tied off to the Bow Pulpit and with the Furling Head sail it
sometimes gets catch in the furling sail if you aren't careful of the
wind when furling. When we came in I seen him with the furling line on
the winch. I let out a howler. Then we did pull the sail out, freed it
from the Halyard and furled it OK. When I went down, a couple of days
later I couldn't get the sail to roll out. I did get it to roll back up.
I tried putting tension on the back stay adjuster and it went full
travel without any effect.

That was when I found out the foil end was whipping around and catching
the halyard at the Mast head. I increase Jib halyard tension, dropped
the Main in the "jacks. Turned "Pneuma" around and limped back in with
the engine.

I think the Spinnaker Halyard saved the Mast. Both by holding the sail
from unfurling and acting as a forestay.

Still waiting a call back from the rigger but I don't hold much hope
for this week-end.

It is 15 years since the mast has been down, so I can't answer you
question without wondering myself

Ole Thom