Peter Wiley

Default To shackle or Quick Link?

We use stainless steel cable ties for anywhere with high UV exposure
over a long period. Black cable ties will get brittle and fail. I'd
expect a year or so out of them, tho.

PDW

In article , Jeff Morris
wrote:

Yes, they do weaken with UV - some that I used on my netting started to fail
after 4 seasons. (Actually, only the white ones failed - I often use red for
rigging, and I've never seen one of those fail.) However, mine all get
pulled
when I unrig in the Fall, and its easier to nip off the plastic. Since they
only have to go about 5 months, degrading isn't an issue.

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
Why? What's the advantage? I've heard the plastic ties degrade from UV.

Scotty

"Jeff Morris" wrote
I carry stainless rigging wire, but I usually mouse with cable ties - you

have
to check them, but they seem to last a season with no trouble and can be

popped
off with a pliers.

Donal

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
"Donal" wrote in message

It's a real pity that you didn't consider the lurkers during our last
discussion about sailing in restricted visibility!!!

Was that the time you displayed your tendency to lie repeatedly, not to

mention
your complete lack of understanding of maritime law? It must have been
especially embarrassing for you when I pointed out a case in your own home
waters where going 20 knots in thick fog was not considered too fast.

Didn't you ever wonder why in a thread that went on for hundreds of posts,

not a
single person actually agreed with your side? And you never cited a case

or a
reference that agreed with you?

I'm surprised you wanted to bring that one up again.

Are you "yanking my chain" again?

Tsk...tsk.

Regards

Donal

Quick Outdrive question M.E. General 5 July 27th 04 06:10 AM
Smart Tabs, quick report RichG General 2 May 7th 04 01:28 PM
FS: Link 20 in Box LowImpact Marketplace 0 March 11th 04 06:09 PM
FS: Link 20 new in box LowImpact Marketplace 0 March 11th 04 06:07 PM
$#%~#^%@ Halyard piston Shackle Lanyard! Steve Cruising 3 July 19th 03 07:12 PM