M.E.

Default Quick Outdrive question

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some advice here as I want to get back in the water as quick
as possible. I have a Mercruiser 1977 outdrive with a bent prop shaft. I
also have a pretty much complete spare drive in pieces... total pieces...
anyways, I'm wondering what the best way is for me to get back up and
running... the drive serial number is 465???? It's a 140 Outdrive? I'm
hoping not to spend any more then about $500-$1000 to get up and running...
I'm located in Ontario, Canada and am wondering if anyone knows a GOOD shop
that won't take my arms and legs to do the repair or that may be able to
sell a rebuilt unit with a trade in value for all the parts nad the other
drive I have.... Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

M.E.

I wish I had that The other drive is in complete pieces I bought it
cheap for parts...

Thanks though...

link.net...

"M.E." wrote in message
[...]

M.E.

Really? Everyone I spoke to said it's a nightmare cause it needs to be
shimmed and everything... is it really something I can do on my own?

Do I need to purchase a tool to remove the prop shaft bearing carrier or is
that not necessary?

Thanks,
Mike

nk.net...

"M.E." wrote in message
[...]

HLAviation

Well I was assuming that since you bought parts, you were a mechanic and
knew about setting up gears and preloading bearings. There is a special
tool, although I've done it with a brass punch and a dead blow hammer before
in a pinch. If you are reasonably competent, buy the manual and the tool and
have at it. Remember, the average marine mechanic isn't a freakin' Einstein.
The worst that's gonna happen is you're gonna have get a rebuilt lower unit,
and that'll cost you the same (or less) than taking the one you have in to
be rebuilt now, and you may learn something.