Scott Vernon

Default To shackle or Quick Link?

ozone wrote

That said, I've been using quicklinks on jib sheets for decades and
never had a failure.

finger tight, or wrenched?

Scotty

Flying Tadpole

Donal wrote:

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
"Martin Baxter" wrote in message
Jeff Morris wrote:

One must be explicit for the benefit of the thousands of
lurkers who rely on our collective wisdom!

Good advice, Jeff!

It's a real pity that you didn't consider the lurkers during our last
discussion about sailing in restricted visibility!!!

Regards

Donal
--

Do we still have lots of lurkers? HEY LURKERS, STAND AND BE
RECOGNISED!!!

Ready...aim......

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Faint echoes, sometimes inaudible, of the newsgroup's glorious
past are downloadable at http://music.download.com/internetopera
Jeff Morris

Jeff Morris wrote:

One must be explicit for the benefit of the thousands of
lurkers who rely on our collective wisdom!

Good advice, Jeff!

It's a real pity that you didn't consider the lurkers during our last
discussion about sailing in restricted visibility!!!

Was that the time you displayed your tendency to lie repeatedly, not to mention
your complete lack of understanding of maritime law? It must have been
especially embarrassing for you when I pointed out a case in your own home
waters where going 20 knots in thick fog was not considered too fast.

Didn't you ever wonder why in a thread that went on for hundreds of posts, not a
single person actually agreed with your side? And you never cited a case or a
reference that agreed with you?

I'm surprised you wanted to bring that one up again.

Scott Vernon

Who told you this crap Mark, bob**** the shackle expert?
I'm not familiar with BBB chain, but proof coil and HT will take a shackle
pin 2 sizes (2/16'') BIGGER. In fact, everything I've read says to use a
shackle the next size up from the chain.

--
Scotty
S/V Lisa Marie

"Marc" wrote in message
According to the BBB chain dimensions in the following link
http://www.pyacht.net/online-store/s..._bbb_chain.htm
neither a 3/8" shackle or a 3/8" quick link will pass through 3/8' bbb
chain. You must go 1 size smaller. hence the suggestion to install
oversized end links from an industrial supplier of load rated chain.

This factoid is true for all shapes and sizes of chain, proof , ht,
bbb, and is one of the dirty little secrets of the anchor rode
packages offered by marine retailers.

After the anchor breakout force rating, the shackle is your weakest
link

On 17 Jun 2004 14:48:20 GMT, "Scott Vernon"
wrote:

he was asking about quick links, marc.

"Marc" wrote in message
.. .
More to the point. the shackle you can fit to the chain is weaker
than the chain. Buy your rated chain from an industrial sling mfg. and
have them put an oversize link at each end. (small extra charge). Now
you will be able to fit the proper sized and rated shackle.

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:44:54 -0400, Martin Baxter
wrote:

Another anchor question: Why don't we use quick links rather than

shackles to attach the rode to the anchor?

Seems to me that the same size quick link is about 20% stronger than

it's
shackle equivalent, and if you tighten the closure nut with a wrench

there's
no way for it to work open. Even if you only tighten by hand and by

some
miracle (fish with fingers, crafty crabs?) it manages to work open, you
still
won't lose connection so long as there is some tension on the rode.

Cheers
Marty

Scott Vernon

Have you ever had one back off, even a tiny bit?

Scotty

OzOne wrote in message ...
On 17 Jun 2004 22:17:43 GMT, "Scott Vernon"
scribbled thusly:

ozone wrote

That said, I've been using quicklinks on jib sheets for decades and
never had a failure.

finger tight, or wrenched?

Scotty

Inshore finger tight, Offshore, depends on the conditions.

We have a loop whipped or spliced on the end of the jibsheet and just
pass one quicklink thru both loops.
Saves the bulk of the usual bights or knots and they don't foul on
things when tacking or gybing.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Scott Vernon

OzOne wrote in message ...
On 17 Jun 2004 22:48:13 GMT, "Scott Vernon"
scribbled thusly:

Who told you this crap Mark, bob**** the shackle expert?
I'm not familiar with BBB chain, but proof coil and HT will take a

shackle
pin 2 sizes (2/16'') BIGGER. In fact, everything I've read says to use a
shackle the next size up from the chain.

2/16" that anything like 1/8" ?

Exactly the same. very good ozone. You didn't cheat and ask Jax, did you?

The 2/16'' was used to exemplify moving up 2 sizes.

SV

Philip Carroll

Then you don't know how to properly use a micrometer.
OzOne wrote in message ...
On 17 Jun 2004 23:20:59 GMT, "Scott Vernon"
scribbled thusly:

OzOne wrote in message

On 17 Jun 2004 22:48:13 GMT, "Scott Vernon"
scribbled thusly:

Who told you this crap Mark, bob**** the shackle expert?
I'm not familiar with BBB chain, but proof coil and HT will take a

shackle
pin 2 sizes (2/16'') BIGGER. In fact, everything I've read says to use

shackle the next size up from the chain.

2/16" that anything like 1/8" ?

Exactly the same. very good ozone. You didn't cheat and ask Jax, did

you?

I did, but he told me that 1 + 1 = 3 and that 1/16 should really be
1/17 because when you measure 1/16 the jaws of the micrometer are
never square and have a very small gap so the actually read a little
larger than actual.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Scott Vernon

OzOne wrote in message ...
On 18 Jun 2004 02:23:15 GMT, "Scott Vernon"
scribbled thusly:

I use a caliper.

SV

Polio?

vernier.

Quick Outdrive question M.E. General 5 July 27th 04 06:10 AM
Smart Tabs, quick report RichG General 2 May 7th 04 01:28 PM
FS: Link 20 in Box LowImpact Marketplace 0 March 11th 04 06:09 PM
FS: Link 20 new in box LowImpact Marketplace 0 March 11th 04 06:07 PM
$#%~#^%@ Halyard piston Shackle Lanyard! Steve Cruising 3 July 19th 03 07:12 PM