Martin Baxter

Default To shackle or Quick Link?

Another anchor question: Why don't we use quick links rather than shackles to attach the rode to the anchor?

Seems to me that the same size quick link is about 20% stronger than it's shackle equivalent, and if you tighten the closure nut with a wrench there's
no way for it to work open. Even if you only tighten by hand and by some miracle (fish with fingers, crafty crabs?) it manages to work open, you still
won't lose connection so long as there is some tension on the rode.

Cheers
Marty

Scott Vernon

20% stronger? Where did you get that from? I thought that a shackle was
stronger.

There are different grades of shackles.

Scotty

"Martin Baxter" wrote in message

Another anchor question: Why don't we use quick links rather than shackles

to attach the rode to the anchor?

Seems to me that the same size quick link is about 20% stronger than it's

shackle equivalent, and if you tighten the closure nut with a wrench there's
no way for it to work open. Even if you only tighten by hand and by some

miracle (fish with fingers, crafty crabs?) it manages to work open, you
still
won't lose connection so long as there is some tension on the rode.

Cheers
Marty

Flying Tadpole

Scott Vernon wrote:

20% stronger? Where did you get that from? I thought that a shackle was
stronger.

That's what I thought too...

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Faint echoes, sometimes inaudible, of the newsgroup's glorious
past are downloadable at http://music.download.com/internetopera
Marc

More to the point. the shackle you can fit to the chain is weaker
than the chain. Buy your rated chain from an industrial sling mfg. and
have them put an oversize link at each end. (small extra charge). Now
you will be able to fit the proper sized and rated shackle.

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:44:54 -0400, Martin Baxter
wrote:

Another anchor question: Why don't we use quick links rather than shackles to attach the rode to the anchor?

Seems to me that the same size quick link is about 20% stronger than it's shackle equivalent, and if you tighten the closure nut with a wrench there's
no way for it to work open. Even if you only tighten by hand and by some miracle (fish with fingers, crafty crabs?) it manages to work open, you still
won't lose connection so long as there is some tension on the rode.

Cheers
Marty

Martin Baxter

Scott Vernon wrote:

20% stronger? Where did you get that from? I thought that a shackle was
stronger.

There are different grades of shackles.

Scotty

Looked up several different manufactures, typical values for a 5/16" quick link are around 1700 lb., for a standard grade carbon steel, galvanized
shackle the number seems to be about 1500 lb.

I realize that you can get shackles in different grades, just as you can chain. How many of you go out and buy grade 70 transport chain to use on your
ground tackle? I'll bet most buy proof coil (grade 30), in which case the basic el cheapo shackle is going to be stronger than the chain anyway.

I was merely musing that IMNSHO, the quick link is less likely to work loose, unless of course you mouse your shackle with stainless steel wire, which
is a pain in the butt some days.

Cheers
Marty

Jeff Morris

The quicklinks are handy to have because they are easy to put on, no parts to
drop, etc. However, its also hard to see of they're working loose, while a
shackle can be wired or cable tied and its obvious of they're coming apart.

Be a bit careful comparing numbers - some are "working load" and others are
"breaking strength." I think for chain and shackles "working load" is define as
25% of breaking strength. Also, you want to consider the failure mode - a quick
link can deform making it hard to take apart.

BTW, why not use a swivel to connect to the anchor? Maybe your Danforth won't
pull out as much if it had a swivel.

interesting link:
http://www.suncorstainless.com/sscart/pdf/rigging.pdf

"Martin Baxter" wrote in message

Another anchor question: Why don't we use quick links rather than shackles to

attach the rode to the anchor?

Seems to me that the same size quick link is about 20% stronger than it's

shackle equivalent, and if you tighten the closure nut with a wrench there's
no way for it to work open. Even if you only tighten by hand and by some

miracle (fish with fingers, crafty crabs?) it manages to work open, you still
won't lose connection so long as there is some tension on the rode.

Cheers
Marty

Flying Tadpole

Martin Baxter wrote:

snip

I was merely musing that IMNSHO, the quick link is less likely to work loose, unless of course you mouse your shackle with stainless steel wire, which
is a pain in the butt some days.

Why stainless? I mouse with galvanised wire, and change it when
it looks seedy. Tho' I suppose the fresh?water use stops that
being much of a chore.
--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Faint echoes, sometimes inaudible, of the newsgroup's glorious
past are downloadable at http://music.download.com/internetopera
Martin Baxter

Flying Tadpole wrote:

Martin Baxter wrote:

snip

I was merely musing that IMNSHO, the quick link is less likely to work loose, unless of course you mouse your shackle with stainless steel wire, which
is a pain in the butt some days.

Why stainless? I mouse with galvanised wire, and change it when
it looks seedy. Tho' I suppose the fresh?water use stops that
being much of a chore.

Galvanized works just fine, it just happens that I have a bunch of stainless on hand from the MIG welder.

Cheers
Marty

Martin Baxter

Jeff Morris wrote:

Be a bit careful comparing numbers - some are "working load" and others are
"breaking strength." I think for chain and shackles "working load" is define as
25% of breaking strength. Also, you want to consider the failure mode - a quick
link can deform making it hard to take apart.

I was aware and considered working load, not breaking strength, your 4 to 1 figure is the
one usually used for chain and chain fittings.

BTW, why not use a swivel to connect to the anchor? Maybe your Danforth won't
pull out as much if it had a swivel.

Can't see how that would help.

interesting link:
http://www.suncorstainless.com/sscart/pdf/rigging.pdf

Hope Bob checks it out, he could use the extra heave thimbles on his mooring lines.

Cheers
Marty

Quick Outdrive question M.E. General 5 July 27th 04 06:10 AM
Smart Tabs, quick report RichG General 2 May 7th 04 01:28 PM
FS: Link 20 in Box LowImpact Marketplace 0 March 11th 04 06:09 PM
FS: Link 20 new in box LowImpact Marketplace 0 March 11th 04 06:07 PM
$#%~#^%@ Halyard piston Shackle Lanyard! Steve Cruising 3 July 19th 03 07:12 PM