Horvath

Default Jim Cate a NO Show

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:54:14 -0400, Martin Baxter
wrote this crap:

Scott Vernon wrote:

Every small field I've seen round here has a big oarnge wind sock. Even the
guys with ultra lites in their barn.

Wind socks now give windspeed?

They always have before.

Martin Baxter

OzOne wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:54:14 -0400, Martin Baxter
scribbled thusly:

Scott Vernon wrote:

Every small field I've seen round here has a big oarnge wind sock. Even the
guys with ultra lites in their barn.

Wind socks now give windspeed?

Yep, to an educated eye.

My point was that pilots are indeed taught to judge windspeed, windsock shape reveals some, are pilots in
your neck of the woods not taught anything about emergency landings or landing at strips where the sock is
in tatters, (there is such a field less than a mile from my house).

Cheers
Marty

Martin Baxter

OzOne wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:49:34 -0400, Martin Baxter
scribbled thusly:

My point was that pilots are indeed taught to judge windspeed, windsock shape reveals some, are pilots in
your neck of the woods not taught anything about emergency landings or landing at strips where the sock is
in tatters, (there is such a field less than a mile from my house).

Cheers
Marty

Yep, pilots will look at trees, smoke, waves on water, anything that
will give them an indication od winspeed and direction.
Practice for forced landing in fields etc requires that they are
familiar with all possible sources of information.

Thank you Oz, which goes to answer the question "WTF do pilots know about judging wind speed?" ;-o

[note to foley artist; insert sounds of pulling teeth]

Cheers
Marty