Wally

Default No Longer a Beginner!

Bobsprit wrote:

If you'll allow that, then your point is moot.
Sorry. He could have been on a run.

He could have been, but is it likely, given typical weather helm and
steering errors?

How much weather helm is typical in an 11mph wind, Bob?

--
Wally
www.forthsailing.com

Bobsprit

If you'll allow that, then your point is moot.
Sorry. He could have been on a run.

He could have been, but is it likely, given typical weather helm and
steering errors?

Sure is. Wind direction could also have shifted. There are plenty of ways. But
you sought, for some unknown reason, to question it. Now you've fallen into
your own hole. I'm not about to throw you a line.

RB
Bobsprit

I wasn't advocating the use of a motor for anything below 9mph. Rather,
gaining some experience in lighter air would allow Ed to extend his
enjoyment.

I'm sure Ed will get stuck in the light stuff over time. He doesn't need a
stinky motor weighing down his small boat. He'll learn more without it for now.

RB
Walt

Wally wrote:
Bobsprit wrote:

He could have been, but is it likely, given typical weather helm and
steering errors?

How much weather helm is typical in an 11mph wind, Bob?

I don't think you're using the term "weather helm" in the same sense as
the rest of us. What do you mean by that term? It sounds like you mean
you mean leeway instead.

Anyway, the amount of weather helm (or leeway for that matter) will
depend greatly on the particular boat and how it's sailed. In
particular, you'll get a lot less of both if you keep it flat.

--
//-Walt
//
Walt

Wally wrote:
EdGordonRN wrote:

Hmph. I never knew that. Harden up. We were saying "head up." If we
were on a reach we would say, "head up a little" to change direction
into the wind and go close hauled. So, what does head up mean, then?

Not sure - it might mean the same thing,

While they're similar, there's a subtle difference between "head up" and
"harden up".

To head up is to turn the boat to windward. This might be done to
respond to a change in wind direction or speed - i.e. when a puff hits
the apparent wind moves aft allowing you to head up without re-trimming
the sails.

To harden up is go to a higher point of sail. This involves trimming in
the sails and is usually accompanied by a change in direction as well
(heading up). But not always - i.e. if you're on a reach and encounter a
header you might harden up without heading up.

That said, on a dinghy where you're constantly trimming and feathering
anyway it may be a distinction without a difference.

--
//-Walt
//

Walt

EdGordonRN wrote:

I think he's counting on being swept up in the Rapture.

No such thing. The first coming of Christ was Jesus, the second coming is when
you become Christ and begin to establish the kingdom of God on earth.

And here I thought it was impossible to get good quality LSD these
days...

--
//-Walt
//
Wally

Walt wrote:

I don't think you're using the term "weather helm" in the same sense
as the rest of us. What do you mean by that term? It sounds like
you mean you mean leeway instead.

Ah, yes, my mistake. (Cue derisory remark from Bob...)

--
Wally
www.forthsailing.com

Walt

Wally wrote:
Walt wrote:

I don't think you're using the term "weather helm" in the same sense
as the rest of us. What do you mean by that term? It sounds like
you mean you mean leeway instead.

Ah, yes, my mistake.

Ok. Then you should also be aware of the fact that "beating" usually
means sailing close hauled and tacking back and forth to go to a point
directly upwind. So it's entirely reasonably for someone to beat three
miles upwind and run three miles back to his starting point. (although
the total distance sailed would be more than 6 miles)

Of course, since Ed is terminologically impared, who knows what the heck
he did.

--
//-Walt
//
Wally

Walt wrote:

To head up is to turn the boat to windward. This might be done to
respond to a change in wind direction or speed - i.e. when a puff hits
the apparent wind moves aft allowing you to head up without
re-trimming the sails.

To harden up is go to a higher point of sail. This involves trimming
in the sails and is usually accompanied by a change in direction as
well (heading up). But not always - i.e. if you're on a reach and
encounter a header you might harden up without heading up.

Aha. Thanks for the explanation.

That said, on a dinghy where you're constantly trimming and feathering
anyway it may be a distinction without a difference.

Yup, I can see that.

--
Wally
www.forthsailing.com

Wally

Walt wrote:

Ok. Then you should also be aware of the fact that "beating" usually
means sailing close hauled and tacking back and forth to go to a point
directly upwind. So it's entirely reasonably for someone to beat
three miles upwind and run three miles back to his starting point.

Got the idea. Would a single leg between tacks therefore be called "a beat",
or is it more like a collective term for the series of tacks?

(although the total distance sailed would be more than 6 miles)

Yup, we had a little conversation about this on Sunday. I came up with three
ways to reckon distance - as the crow flies, through the water, and over
ground.

Of course, since Ed is terminologically impared, who knows what the
heck he did.

Quite.

--
Wally
www.forthsailing.com

Beginner boat B McDonald General 4 March 20th 04 11:54 PM
Diesel Fuel Decontamination Units Give Stored Fuel Longer Life. John T. Nightingale General 6 February 20th 04 02:28 PM
Waltz radar levelling mounts no longer available Gordon Wedman Cruising 12 February 2nd 04 06:52 AM
Any boat repair will take longer and cost more than originally guessed! Gould 0738 General 11 January 11th 04 08:00 AM