Alan Gomes

Default Which window shape?

Wally,

I think butyl tape would be a good way to go. I have a Catalina 30 MK-II and
the windows are sealed that way. No leaks, and I'm fairly sure this is the
original bedding. I also used it to replace some silicone bedding that was
used to seal a portlight located above the quarterberth (but was leaking),
and the butyl tape seems to have taken care of the leak just fine.

Check out McMaster-Carr (www.mcmastercarr.com) as a good source for the
stuff.

I also read on a list that C&C used butyl tape to seal their hull to deck
joints, though I do not know whether this is so.

Regards,
Alan Gomes

"Wally" wrote in message
DSK wrote:

Yes but it would look better without those in any case. A better
comparison would be with (harder to draw in, I know)

(With?) I've added a photo showing the original window shape, but with the
stanchions and lifelines removed.

I'd be very afraid of weakening the structure... DON'T cut that
beam... in fact don't cut within 3 or 4 inches of it. The fiberglass
flange where it joins the coach roof molding is sure to be a
structural element. You can add fiberglass channels around the edge
of the new port opening for stiffness, but it'd be a major
engineering job to design & build a new mast step support.

I'm not planning to cut the opening at all. The new shape is basically a
go-faster stripe.

The plus side of bigger windows is more light inside (the tint looks
cool, but don't overdo it). The downside is a weaker coach roof.

The reason for going for a tint is to disguise the outline of the aperture
underneath - I may darken the GRP around the aperture if it shows through
the tint. It could do with some more light inside, and I'm looking into

the
possibility of putting a Houdini-type hatch on the cabin roof forward of

the
mast. It has a little 'ventilight' thing there at the moment. I think some
MkI Foxcubs (the Super model, perhaps) were fitted with a Houdini in this
location, so I think it will be okay structurally.

I'd put the acrylic on the outside, beveled, onto a mated surface
around the edge of the port, and use small screws only to hold it in
place while the 5200 dries.

Is that an adhesive sealant? If so, would there be problems with trying to
remove a window later? I was thinking of tacky butyl tape (squidgy and
compressible) with lots of screws.

The more time & work you put into the edges, both the seating to the
new port and the channel around the inside, the stronger & tighter it
will be. I've seen this kind of thing done well on a few boats...
seen a botched "quickie" job dozens of times (including on a boat we
were considering buying until we got a close look at this and many
other owner customized bits).

Well, the boat's a bit tatty and isn't really worth the effort to bring it
to anything approaching a concours finish. Neat, waterproof, and
maintainable are the main aims with the windows.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Scott Vernon

looks a bit 'Mac-ish'. and too big for the boat. Just my opinion.
I'd put a pair of round brass ports in.

SV

"Wally" wrote in message
The windows on my boat need to be replaced. They're fitted into those
old-style channelled rubber strips that are used to hold vehicle windows

in
place - the rubbers are rather perished and the acrylic is clouded and
crazed. I'm considering putting tinted acrylic on the outside of the

cabin -
any thoughts on the wisdom of this approach?

By fitting on the outside surface, I have the opportunity to change the
window shape - here's a couple of side views of my vast, ocean-going,
18-foot mega-yacht, showing the original window shape, and the proposed

new
shape...

http://community.webshots.com/album/136291482TgUkPQ

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Horvath

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:43:41 +0100, "Wally"
wrote this crap:

The windows on my boat need to be replaced. They're fitted into those
old-style channelled rubber strips that are used to hold vehicle windows in
place - the rubbers are rather perished and the acrylic is clouded and
crazed. I'm considering putting tinted acrylic on the outside of the cabin -
any thoughts on the wisdom of this approach?

When I have that problem, i buy a new boat.

This signature is now the ultimate power in the universe
Jonathan Ganz

More information than we need.

wrote this crap:

The windows on my boat need to be replaced. They're fitted into those
old-style channelled rubber strips that are used to hold vehicle windows

in
place - the rubbers are rather perished and the acrylic is clouded and
crazed. I'm considering putting tinted acrylic on the outside of the

cabin -
any thoughts on the wisdom of this approach?

When I have that problem, i buy a new boy.

This signature is now the ultimate power in the universe

Navigator

Use clear sealant instead.

Cheers

Joe wrote:

When you put your new windows on oversize them slightly and do like
the car mfg's do and paint the back of the lexan black around the
edges to cover the sealant.

Walt

Horvath wrote:
"Wally" wrote this crap:

The windows on my boat need to be replaced...

When I have that problem, i buy a new boat.

Isn't your bathtub getting awfully full by now?

--
//-Walt
//
Jonathan Ganz

I don't think he bathes...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Walt" wrote in message
Horvath wrote:
"Wally" wrote this crap:

The windows on my boat need to be replaced...

When I have that problem, i buy a new boat.

Isn't your bathtub getting awfully full by now?

--
//-Walt
//
// Sigs suck. Oh, the irony.

John Cairns

"Wally" wrote in message
[...]

Have seen this done before, a lot easier than enlarging the cut out. The new
shape looks very good, IMHO.
John Cairns

RFP

My boat was built with windows sealed on the outside of the hull.
They leaked adequately to cause enough damage that I could afford the
boat. I did replace them with acrylic and the installation leaked
after a few months. Next we tried nylon washers between the window
and the hull to maintain a minimum sealant thickness of about 3 mm to
absorb differential expansion and hull flex. This has worked well for
4 years.

"Wally" wrote in message ...
The windows on my boat need to be replaced. They're fitted into those
old-style channelled rubber strips that are used to hold vehicle windows in
place - the rubbers are rather perished and the acrylic is clouded and
crazed. I'm considering putting tinted acrylic on the outside of the cabin -
any thoughts on the wisdom of this approach?

By fitting on the outside surface, I have the opportunity to change the
window shape - here's a couple of side views of my vast, ocean-going,
18-foot mega-yacht, showing the original window shape, and the proposed new
shape...

http://community.webshots.com/album/136291482TgUkPQ

katysails

What is with this "windows" thread???? Boats have PORTS; houses have
windows...sheesh....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse