Scott Vernon

Default Which window shape?

"Wally" wrote in message
Scott Vernon wrote:

looks a bit 'Mac-ish'. and too big for the boat. Just my opinion.
I'd put a pair of round brass ports in.

How do I make them fit the exisiting elongated window apertures?

cutting torch?

Flying Tadpole

katysails wrote:

What is with this "windows" thread???? Boats have PORTS; houses have
windows...sheesh....

Ah well, you know the saying--'any window in a storm'...

Besides, surely you know that a portlight is a low-alcohol
wine...

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Learn what lies below the waves of cyberspace!
http://www.internetopera.netfirms.com
katysails

Besides, surely you know that a portlight is a low-alcohol
wine...

--
Flying Tadpole

gag....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Joe

"Wally" wrote in message ...
Joe wrote:

The new design looks good. When you cut your new windows use lexan
not acrylic.

I need to find out what lexan is - I suspect it might be a US brand name for
something else. Polycarbonate?

Yes it's a GE product

LEXAN resin is the world's foremost engineering thermoplastic. One of
the toughest and most versatile polymers, its unique combination of
features is used to add high quality and high performance to thousands
of products.

The LEXAN brand is also a strong signal of quality that can help
consumers recognize products that enhance the way we live, work and
play.

http://www.gelexan.com

When I first started restoring RedCloud I used Acrylic. One night
when it got very cold the steel on the boat did not shrink as fast as
the acrylic, it sounded like someone walked around the boat with a 20
pound sledge hammer as each and every window gave way under the
strain. With the lexan someone could walk around the boat with a 20
pound sledge and smack the windows and the hammer will just bounce
off. I used 1/4 inch dark lexan. Be fore warned they will need
polishing every few years to keep them clear.

When you put your new windows on oversize them slightly and do like
the car mfg's do and paint the back of the lexan black around the
edges to cover the sealant.

Ah, good point - I was already planning to darken the areas that don't have
the actual window aperture behind them - if the sealant is light in colour,
I'll need to disguise that as well. :-)

Yes darken any areas behind the lexan and use the masking effect of
painting the back of the lexan to hide the sealent even if it is clear
sealent you will like the neat look much better. Looks factory done.

Joe
Joe

"Wally" wrote in message ...
Joe wrote:
Ah, good point - I was already planning to darken the areas that don't have
the actual window aperture behind them - if the sealant is light in colour,
I'll need to disguise that as well. :-)

Oh yeah, Forgot to mention that inside the hull over the mahogany
paneling i used acrylic 1/8 inch with the same masking effect on back.
Now we have super efficient nice looking from the inside and out
double pane windows. Here in the heat of Texas we run the AC's 24/7
and the dark windows and double panes helps keep it a nice dry 65
degrees inside the cabin's while its over a 100 outside.

Joe

Martin Baxter

Joe wrote:
Be fore warned they will need
polishing every few years to keep them clear.

Joe, how do you polish your lexan?

Cheers
Marty

Capt. Mooron

Bobsprit recommends and Industrial Grade Grinder with variable speed......

CM

"Martin Baxter" wrote in message
| Joe wrote:
| Be fore warned they will need
| polishing every few years to keep them clear.
|

| Joe, how do you polish your lexan?
|
| Cheers
| Marty

Martin Baxter

Capt. Mooron wrote:
Bobsprit recommends and Industrial Grade Grinder with variable speed......

Yeah, but how do you attach the motorized router bits?

Cheers
Marty

Capt. Mooron

"Martin Baxter" wrote in message
| Capt. Mooron wrote:
| Bobsprit recommends and Industrial Grade Grinder with variable
speed......

| Yeah, but how do you attach the motorized router bits?

I believe Bob uses quick release levers he adapted from his super
heavyweight Mountain Bike..... the bike he always strains on..... er I mean
'trains' on. ;-)

CM

Joe

Joe wrote:
Be fore warned they will need
polishing every few years to keep them clear.

Joe, how do you polish your lexan?

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/long25.htm

And lots of elbow grease!

Joe