Plastiekske

Default documentation & registration

Hello,

from a previous thread, I understood that there is a difference between documenting a boat (which is
only possible for US citizens) and registering a boat (in any state).
I have the following questions regarding registration:
- is one allowed to sail a registered (not documented) boat in US waters?
- is registration available for non-US citizens?
- where should I turn to in Georgia to register a boat (that is currently lying in Georgia)?
- what paperwork should I produce to get a boat registered?

Tnx,
Frank
John Cairns

Don't know about Georgia, but in Michigan a non-citizen can register a boat.
In most states drivers license bureaus register boats, you'll need a signed
title for the boat and possibly a bill of sale.
John Cairns
"Plastiekske" wrote in message
Hello,

from a previous thread, I understood that there is a difference between

documenting a boat (which is
only possible for US citizens) and registering a boat (in any state).
I have the following questions regarding registration:
- is one allowed to sail a registered (not documented) boat in US waters?
- is registration available for non-US citizens?
- where should I turn to in Georgia to register a boat (that is currently

lying in Georgia)?
- what paperwork should I produce to get a boat registered?

Tnx,
Frank

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:16:54 GMT, Plastiekske
wrote:

is one allowed to sail a registered
(not documented) boat in US waters?

Subject to compliance with applicable immigration and Visa laws,
generally: Yes.

is registration available for non-US citizens?

Depending on the answer where the owner resides and on where the boat
would be registered, in some places, Yes, and, in other places, No,
and, in other places, it will depend on some other particular factors
(but, mostly, Yes).

where should I turn to in Georgia to register
a boat (that is currently lying in Georgia)?

http:// http://www.georgia.gov/00/article/0,...785649,00.html

http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga....txtDocument=98

Jeff Morris

One problem with registration is that other states may complain if you're not
registered in their state. The Federal law requires 60 days "grace" for passing
through, but after that a state may require local registration. I think Florida
gives you 90 days, but after that they get picky. Each state has different laws
about sales tax, use tax, excise tax, property tax, so make sure you keep all
the paperwork to prove what's been paid so far.

"Plastiekske" wrote in message
Hello,

from a previous thread, I understood that there is a difference between

documenting a boat (which is
only possible for US citizens) and registering a boat (in any state).
I have the following questions regarding registration:
- is one allowed to sail a registered (not documented) boat in US waters?
- is registration available for non-US citizens?
- where should I turn to in Georgia to register a boat (that is currently

lying in Georgia)?
- what paperwork should I produce to get a boat registered?

Tnx,
Frank

Have you received your California 2004-2005 boat registration stickers yet? Chuck Tribolet General 1 January 2nd 04 07:40 AM
EPIRB Registration online now Keith General 4 September 6th 03 05:57 AM
EPIRB Registration online now Keith Cruising 1 September 4th 03 02:59 PM
Canadian Registration D Smyth General 0 July 18th 03 04:18 AM
Booby's C&C 32 was not previously documented either. Simple Simon ASA 10 July 10th 03 11:47 PM