Jeff Morris

Default MacGregor 26M - Valiant 40

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

If you consider that the Mac is much lighter, with much smaller sails,
it's likely that it may ride over some waves that your boat may try to
"bore through." Not in great comfort, admittedly.

You're missing the point, Jim. My boat is extremely light for its size -
lighter than the mac in some ways (50% more length, more than twice the beam,
but a weight of only 8800 lbs). Diving through waves is more a function of the
wave shape - in strong current against strong wind situations the wave length
gets compressed, the heights grow, and the wave face appears "vertical."
Inevitably, you surf down one and slam into the base of the next faster than you
can rise up over them. There is also risk to going over the top, since at best,
you will pound hard on the other side, but at worst, you can get twisted
sideways and roll over.

Jeff Morris

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 17:34:02 -0500, Jim Cate
scribbled thusly:

And it can be extended partially or fully, as desired for
the particular point of sail.

There is a reason why centreboard yachts are required to have the
centreboard locked fully down when racing.....

Is that true? I though it only applied if it was a weighted board. It
certainly doesn't apply to dinks.

Jeff Morris

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 19:00:37 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
scribbled thusly:
There is a reason why centreboard yachts are required to have the
centreboard locked fully down when racing.....

Is that true? I though it only applied if it was a weighted board. It
certainly doesn't apply to dinks.

Yep, true.
Never applied to dinghys though a couple of classes here insist to
their downwind performance detriment and same in up wind planing
conditions.

Not that it matters much to me, but here's the PHRF rules:

http://www.rmsail.org/PHRF%20Guidelines.pdf

PHRF Rules While Racing:
All PHRF members shall abide by the following rules while racing unless
specifically exempted in
the PHRF rating certificate.
.. Yachts must race as configured and documented on their rating certificate
while racing.
.. No part of the torso of skipper or crew shall be outboard of a vertical plane
extending upward
from the rail while racing. The torso shall be defined as the trunk of the human
body not
including the arms, legs, or head.
.. Water ballast boats shall be filled and sealed during racing. Any PHRF member
may request
that water ballast boats be inspected before and after racing to verify
compliance.
.. Boats with moveable keels, ballasted centerboards, swing keels and similar
types, keep said
keel/centerboard locked in the full down position at all times when racing.
.. Centerboard boats where the centerboard/keel provides no righting ballast may
raise
centerboard while racing.
.. An outboard motor may be removed from the transom while racing only if it is
not removed
from the yacht.
.. All interior equipment delivered standard from the manufacturer such as berth
cushions,
latrines, cabinetry, and holding tanks must remain onboard while racing.
Optional equipment
does not apply.

DSK

Jim Cate wrote:
.... However,I think I've made
it clear that I intend to be very conservative when going off-shore, to
reef early, and substantially, if there is any question of threatening
weather.

Unfortunately, neither "being conservative" nor reefing will help if
conditions are such that you're going to get solid water over the deck.
Just last week I was talking to a nice man who was bringing in a heavy
traditional cutter. He had been out in fairly common conditions, a
spring cold front, which kicked up waves big enough to roll over his
foredeck. One peeled open his fore hatch, which was a big surprise to
his fiancee sleeping in the V-berth.

A Mac 26M (having pretty much the same hull as the 26X) has enough
reserve bouyancy to survive such an incident... as long as the water
coming in didn't compromise the stability (water ballast and all that)...

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Ultimately, however, if an emergency arose despite all of the above, I
would rather have some water in the V-berth than wallow around without a
sea anchor.

Jim

Jim

Jim Cate

Scott Vernon wrote:
"Jim Cate" wrote

The plan is to leave the boat in a gated boat storage area that has
access to the water. The mast would be left up.

what's the cost for that?

$65 per month.

No insurance on your Mac?

About $400 per year. (What I meant was that I wouldn't be paying
insurance on the larger, charter boats.

I pay $215 for my ins., but then my boat is safer than yours.

No bottom paint?

Nope. Not needed if the boat is sitting on the trailor 98% of the time.

Oh.

That 50 hp WILL need maitnance.

Right. About $200 per year?

what do you think I spend on a Yanmar diesel per year? Hint: it's less than
$200. You really didn't research this very much, did you?

No rigging, electronics, or sails on your macM?????

Yes, I'll have to keep up the sails, rigging, electronics, etc.

so you admit you were bull ****ting.

"IF ONLY I had bought a Mac 26M....then I could be the laughing stock of

the sailing world."

Jim

Jim Cate

Scott Vernon wrote:

"Jim Cate" wrote

The plan is to leave the boat in a gated boat storage area that has
access to the water. The mast would be left up.

what's the cost for that?

$65 per month

No insurance on your Mac?

About $400 per year. (What I meant was that I wouldn't be paying
insurance on the larger, charter boats.

Actually, the quote I had was $300. I was including some padding.

I pay $215 for my ins., but then my boat is safer than yours.

No bottom paint?

Nope. Not needed if the boat is sitting on the trailor 98% of the time.

Oh.

That 50 hp WILL need maitnance.

Right. About $200 per year?

what do you think I spend on a Yanmar diesel per year? Hint: it's less than
$200. You really didn't research this very much, did you?

Actually, my comment mentioning $200 was a question, not a statement. I
actually think it will be much less than that. Your diesel may not
have cost you much in the past few years, but sooner or later, you will
ahve to have an overhaul. You need to prorate the bigger costs into your
annual estimate.

No rigging, electronics, or sails on your macM?????

Yes, I'll have to keep up the sails, rigging, electronics, etc.

so you admit you were bull ****ting.

Nope. I never claimed that I wouldn't have maintenance costs, did I Scot? The point

is that I won't have to pay many of the costs paid by my freinds with large
boats kept in the marinas in this area.
thdon't ex[ect texongi

"IF ONLY I had bought a Mac 26M....then I could be the laughing stock of

the sailing world."

Jim

He who laughs last.......

Jim

Jim Cate

Scott Vernon wrote:

"Jim Cate" wrote

The Mac permits you to spend less time getting to a
variety of sailing or recreational areas, and more time in the good
sailing areas or good recreational areas.

you don't understand 'sailing'.

For example, you can trailer the boat
down to Florida

but that would take a lot of time!

In our area, the boat could be trailered to the Gulf coast in less than
an hour, or to various ports up and down the coast in two or three
hours. It means the difference between being essentially locked into
one sailing area for most of the year (It can get pretty monotonous) and
being able to go whereever we want to go, in one weekend. Despite your
pontification and sarcasm, the boat does substantially minimize the
"lack of time" factor.

Jim

Jim

Jim Cate

Jonathan Ganz wrote:

You are so stupid that it's beyond belief.

How can you possibly believe that, or post such a remark on this ng?
What, in particular, have I posted that would suggest that I'm stupid
beyond believe.

BE SPECIFIC FOR A CHANGE, ASSHOLE.

Jim

Jim Cate

Jeff Morris wrote:

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

If you consider that the Mac is much lighter, with much smaller sails,
it's likely that it may ride over some waves that your boat may try to
"bore through." Not in great comfort, admittedly.

You're missing the point, Jim. My boat is extremely light for its size -
lighter than the mac in some ways (50% more length, more than twice the beam,
but a weight of only 8800 lbs). Diving through waves is more a function of the
wave shape - in strong current against strong wind situations the wave length
gets compressed, the heights grow, and the wave face appears "vertical."
Inevitably, you surf down one and slam into the base of the next faster than you
can rise up over them. There is also risk to going over the top, since at best,
you will pound hard on the other side, but at worst, you can get twisted
sideways and roll over.

OK. I didn't know what boat you had. Obviously, I'll want to respect
the limiations of the 26-foot boat.

Jim

Scott Vernon

ha ha, it's gonna take jimbo a long time before he realizes the mistake he
made. And then even longer for him to admit it to himself. He'll NEVER
admit it to us.

SV

wrote

Scott, I happen to have a Mac26M for sale that you might be interested
in buying.

Jim