Scott Vernon

Default MacGregor 26M - Valiant 40

OzOne wrote
It's also likely that it'll take a belly full through that open hatch,
go bow down, dive into the next wave, ship more water then turn
turtle!

that's OK, it's got'' positive foam floatation''.

Scott Vernon

"Jim Cate" wrote ...

Obviously, I'll want to respect
the limiations of the 26 M and never leave the dock.

Jim

Jim Cate

Jonathan Ganz wrote:
This isn't a discussion fool. This is a rout.

Really? Then why are you here, still sticking around? If it were a rout,
it would have been finished long ago. - You just can't leave it alone,
can you John?

Jim

Scott Vernon

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

Actually, the quote I had was $300. I was including some padding.

for your knees.

Actually, my comment mentioning $200 was a question, not a statement. I
actually think it will be much less than that. Your diesel may not
have cost you much in the past few years, but sooner or later, you will
ahve to have an overhaul. You need to prorate the bigger costs into your
annual estimate.

not true mac-boy. I only put about 60 hours on the engine per season. How
many hours do you think a diesel has?

"IF ONLY I had bought a Mac 26M....then I could be the laughing stock of

the sailing world."

Jimbo

He who laughs last.......

took the longest to get the joke.

Scott Vernon

"Jim Cate" wrote

In our area, the boat could be trailered to the Gulf coast in less than
an hour, or to various ports up and down the coast in two or three
hours.

why don't you just drive your car and get there faster?

you don't get 'sailing'.

It means the difference between being essentially locked into
one sailing area for most of the year (It can get pretty monotonous)

you don't understand 'sailing'.

being able to go whereever we want to go, in one weekend.

weekend warrior

Despite my
pontification and sarcasm, the boat does substantially minimize the
"sailing" factor.

Jimbo

Jimboo

Jim Cate

Jonathan Ganz wrote:

What about "unexpected weather"???

Most weather is "unexpected" in our area. My point is that I intend to
be very conservative in going out when the weather is questionable, and
to motor back soon when the forecast indicates worsening conditions. I
intend to reef early and substantially, and stay close to shore if the
weather becomes questionable.

On the other hand, I don't intend to stay off the blue water because
there might be "unexpected" changes in the weather. As I've told you
several times, John, if I perish at sea, you won't have to stick around
posting notes on this discussion string anymore. You seem to have become
compulsive about the whole thing, and you can't seem to let it go. -
Seems to me that you ought to be encouraging me and urging me on.

Jim

Scott Vernon

"Jim Cate" wrote ...

What, in particular, have I posted that would suggest that I'm stupid
beyond believe.

BE SPECIFIC FOR A CHANGE,

ASSHOLE.

You wrote you were buying a Mac26Mx, DUH!

nice sig. BTW.

SV

Jim Cate

DSK wrote:

Jim Cate wrote:

.... However,I think I've made it clear that I intend to be very
conservative when going off-shore, to reef early, and substantially,
if there is any question of threatening weather.

Unfortunately, neither "being conservative" nor reefing will help if
conditions are such that you're going to get solid water over the deck.
Just last week I was talking to a nice man who was bringing in a heavy
traditional cutter. He had been out in fairly common conditions, a
spring cold front, which kicked up waves big enough to roll over his
foredeck. One peeled open his fore hatch, which was a big surprise to
his fiancee sleeping in the V-berth.

Well, I'm prepared to die. But I don't intend to stop sailing in blue
water because there is a chance that heavy weather might develop. As
indicated above, I intend to reef early, stay close to shore, and head
back to shore early if changes are observed or predicted.

Jim

A Mac 26M (having pretty much the same hull as the 26X) has enough
reserve bouyancy to survive such an incident... as long as the water
coming in didn't compromise the stability (water ballast and all that)...

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Ultimately, however, if an emergency arose despite all of the above, I
would rather have some water in the V-berth than wallow around without
a sea anchor.

Jim

Jim

Wally

Jim Cate wrote:

In particular, I would suggest that I'm stupid beyond believe.