Joe

Default Pocket Pelorus

What can you use the following bow and beam bearings to find?

22-34, 25-41 , 26&1/2-45, 27-46 , 29-51 , 32-59 .

All numbers are degrees off your bow.

And you travel 5 miles between the bearings.

Worth 5 asa points

Joe
MSV RedCloud
Wally

Joe wrote:

What can you use the following bow and beam bearings to find?
22-34, 25-41 , 26&1/2-45, 27-46 , 29-51 , 32-59 .
All numbers are degrees off your bow.
And you travel 5 miles between the bearings.

Something lying in a straight line which is parallel to my course - a series
of coastal features or a line of marker buoys, perhaps? The line is a little
shorter than my distance covered (4.5 miles). At the start of my journey,
the nearest point on the line is about 9 miles away, bearing roughly 33
degrees. If my course and the line of targets were extended, my course would
be 5 miles from the line. The middle pair of targets (26&1/2-45, 27-46) are
very close together - 0.14 miles.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Wally

Wally wrote:

... about 9 miles away, bearing roughly 33 degrees.

Sorry, it bears 32 degrees (off the bow). The final target bears 34 degrees
after I've covered 5 miles.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

otnmbrd

Joe wrote:
What can you use the following bow and beam bearings to find?

22-34, 25-41 , 26&1/2-45, 27-46 , 29-51 , 32-59 .

All numbers are degrees off your bow.

And you travel 5 miles between the bearings.

Worth 5 asa points

Joe
MSV RedCloud

These are not "bow and beam" bearings. What they are, are a set of
bearings that if you mark the time of each set, the distance run between
them will be the distance off when abeam. (5 mi.)
These come from "Special cases" and include "bow and beam", "doubling
the angle on the bow", "7 tenths rule", "7/3rd rule"

Joe

otnmbrd wrote in message link.net...
Joe wrote:
What can you use the following bow and beam bearings to find?

22-34, 25-41 , 26&1/2-45, 27-46 , 29-51 , 32-59 .

All numbers are degrees off your bow.

And you travel 5 miles between the bearings.

Worth 5 asa points

Joe
MSV RedCloud

These are not "bow and beam" bearings.

Well I use bow and beam as a general term for this type of
navigation.

What they are, are a set of
bearings that if you mark the time of each set, the distance run between
them will be the distance off when abeam. (5 mi.)

Very good, but why do you call them special cases. All give the same
results.

These come from "Special cases" and include "bow and beam", "doubling
the angle on the bow", "7 tenths rule", "7/3rd rule"

We often used a Pelorus to find the really good fishing spots near
pipeline junctions, back in the loran days.

Im in the process of painting a bearing board on my dash.

And please..... your a seasoned licenced Master. Lets give the young
yachtmster wannabe's a chance to answer.

Im still amazed at wallys answer.

Joe
MSV RedCloud

Wally

Joe wrote:

Im still amazed at wallys answer.

May I ask why?

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

otnmbrd

Joe wrote:
otnmbrd wrote

These are not "bow and beam" bearings.

Well I use bow and beam as a general term for this type of
navigation.

I'll buy that.

What they are, are a set of

bearings that if you mark the time of each set, the distance run between
them will be the distance off when abeam. (5 mi.)

Very good, but why do you call them special cases. All give the same
results.

That's how I originally learned them .... as "special cases" we all
needed to memorize/know for coastal navigation. When I first started
sailing, their use was the "norm".

These come from "Special cases" and include "bow and beam", "doubling
the angle on the bow", "7 tenths rule", "7/3rd rule"

We often used a Pelorus to find the really good fishing spots near
pipeline junctions, back in the loran days.

Im in the process of painting a bearing board on my dash.

And please..... your a seasoned licenced Master. Lets give the young
yachtmster wannabe's a chance to answer.

LOL Actually, I find that many in the group are more current and up to
date on many areas of navigation, than I am. Through lack of use, I've
forgotten the details of many applications. My advantage may lie solely
in the fact that frequently, something will tweak a memory, and I
generally know where to look for the info and can easily relate to it,
once found.
Normally I leave these questions alone, but didn't appear anyone was
finding the answer.

otn

Donal

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
ink.net...

Actually, I find that many in the group are more current and up to
date on many areas of navigation, than I am.

Correct!

Regards

Donal

Donal

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
ink.net...

Joe wrote:
What can you use the following bow and beam bearings to find?

22-34, 25-41 , 26&1/2-45, 27-46 , 29-51 , 32-59 .

All numbers are degrees off your bow.

And you travel 5 miles between the bearings.

Worth 5 asa points

Joe
MSV RedCloud

These are not "bow and beam" bearings. What they are, are a set of
bearings that if you mark the time of each set, the distance run between
them will be the distance off when abeam. (5 mi.)
These come from "Special cases" and include "bow and beam", "doubling
the angle on the bow", "7 tenths rule", "7/3rd rule"

OMG!!! I really don't believe it!

Are you saying that these are figures that are useful to people who are
"mathematically challenged"? ... Like Rednecks???

Are there people out there who are too stupid to take a running fix????

Regards

Donal

otnmbrd

Donal wrote:
"otnmbrd" wrote

Joe wrote:

What can you use the following bow and beam bearings to find?

22-34, 25-41 , 26&1/2-45, 27-46 , 29-51 , 32-59 .

All numbers are degrees off your bow.

And you travel 5 miles between the bearings.

Worth 5 asa points

Joe
MSV RedCloud

These are not "bow and beam" bearings. What they are, are a set of
bearings that if you mark the time of each set, the distance run between
them will be the distance off when abeam. (5 mi.)
These come from "Special cases" and include "bow and beam", "doubling
the angle on the bow", "7 tenths rule", "7/3rd rule"

OMG!!! I really don't believe it!

Are you saying that these are figures that are useful to people who are
"mathematically challenged"? ... Like Rednecks???

Are there people out there who are too stupid to take a running fix????

Not sure what you're grumbling about. These are "shortcuts" and means of
estimating a distance you will be off when abeam of an object and are
all part of and ways of, performing a running fix, with quick math
solutions.
They've been used by many sailors for years .... mayhaps you should try
to learn to use them .... add to your knowledge base, as it were.....

otn