otnmbrd

Default Pocket Pelorus

Joe wrote:
otnmbrd wrote

These are not "bow and beam" bearings.

Well I use bow and beam as a general term for this type of
navigation.

I'll buy that.

What they are, are a set of

bearings that if you mark the time of each set, the distance run between
them will be the distance off when abeam. (5 mi.)

Very good, but why do you call them special cases. All give the same
results.

That's how I originally learned them .... as "special cases" we all
needed to memorize/know for coastal navigation. When I first started
sailing, their use was the "norm".

These come from "Special cases" and include "bow and beam", "doubling
the angle on the bow", "7 tenths rule", "7/3rd rule"

We often used a Pelorus to find the really good fishing spots near
pipeline junctions, back in the loran days.

Im in the process of painting a bearing board on my dash.

And please..... your a seasoned licenced Master. Lets give the young
yachtmster wannabe's a chance to answer.

LOL Actually, I find that many in the group are more current and up to
date on many areas of navigation, than I am. Through lack of use, I've
forgotten the details of many applications. My advantage may lie solely
in the fact that frequently, something will tweak a memory, and I
generally know where to look for the info and can easily relate to it,
once found.
Normally I leave these questions alone, but didn't appear anyone was
finding the answer.

otn