Joe

Default Pocket Pelorus

otnmbrd wrote in message link.net...
Joe wrote:
What can you use the following bow and beam bearings to find?

22-34, 25-41 , 26&1/2-45, 27-46 , 29-51 , 32-59 .

All numbers are degrees off your bow.

And you travel 5 miles between the bearings.

Worth 5 asa points

Joe
MSV RedCloud

These are not "bow and beam" bearings.

Well I use bow and beam as a general term for this type of
navigation.

What they are, are a set of
bearings that if you mark the time of each set, the distance run between
them will be the distance off when abeam. (5 mi.)

Very good, but why do you call them special cases. All give the same
results.

These come from "Special cases" and include "bow and beam", "doubling
the angle on the bow", "7 tenths rule", "7/3rd rule"

We often used a Pelorus to find the really good fishing spots near
pipeline junctions, back in the loran days.

Im in the process of painting a bearing board on my dash.

And please..... your a seasoned licenced Master. Lets give the young
yachtmster wannabe's a chance to answer.

Im still amazed at wallys answer.

Joe
MSV RedCloud