J Bard

Default A 1972 Pearson 30' who's bow is down about 2 inches...

A 1972 Pearson 30' who's bow is down about 2 inches. A friend suggested
gelcoat leaks leading to water saturated fiberglass - another suggested that
even if the front of the boat was waterlogged , the extra weight of whatever
the front hull could hold would not be enough to bring the whole boat down
in front .
Any other Pearson owners out there with knowledge of this ? I don't think
I have enough in front to do this; I did add a roller fuller and a slightly
oversized anchor (kept on the pulpit) but I doubt this was enough ..

Any way to get a reading on the hull for "waterloggedness" ?

JN

Well, if it were my boat I would have it hauled and have a look-see below
the waterline. If nothing is obvious then drop it back in the water, if so
then block it. This is done quite often when some tightwads, inexperienced
individuals, or risk-takers want to buy a boat without paying for a survey.

Bobsprit

the extra weight of whatever
the front hull could hold would not be enough to bring the whole boat down
in front .

Your friend is right. Even with bow water tank full and a ton of stuff up front
in the Vee, my P30 still sat on her lines pretty well.
Maybe someone here has an idea?

RB
SAIL LOCO

Your friend is right. Even with bow water tank full and a ton of Me up
front
in the Vee, my P30 still sat on her lines pretty well..
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
Jeff Morris

A "ton of stuff"? I think not.

A Pearson 30 will go down one inch for a load of 851 pounds. If this load were
concentrated in the bow, one might guess it would be down two inches, or perhaps
more. Thus, a "ton of stuff" would very likely bring it down a considerable
amount.

800 pounds is a lot - 12 cubic feet of water, or 100 gallons. Or 800 feet of
anchor chain. Its hard to believe that some wet glass could absorb this much.
However, its also possible that a lot of weight removed from the stern could
cause the same change. Was it re-powered with a lighter engine? Is the fuel
tank full? Batteries removed? Is the waterline original, or was it re-drawn
assuming a dinghy in davits?

And, of course, its likely a combination of various factors.

-jeff

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
the extra weight of whatever
the front hull could hold would not be enough to bring the whole boat down
in front .

Your friend is right. Even with bow water tank full and a ton of stuff up

front
in the Vee, my P30 still sat on her lines pretty well.
Maybe someone here has an idea?

RB

J Bard

Thanks to you (and all) for your ideas ...
To answer your questions; no, nothing obvious removed from aft ...same
engine, full tank, same batteries ..(well, that's not quite true; same
number; new ones are a bit smaller and lighter ...)
I bought the boat in the summer of '01. I had a survey done....I recall
noting it seemed down in the front when I launched the second summer ...but
to tell you the truth , I could not swear about where the water line was in
the front of the boat during the first season I had her ...it was all too
new (my first real boat; prior was a MacGregor 22)... But,to be sure , the
water line is far above her stripe now...
and she looks odd in the water...
She's in a yard for the winter...I recall now the survey was done with a
simple water saturation meter and perhaps I can get a hold of one. Folks in
the yard are saying much as you are ; play with weight in the back of the
boat prior to barrier coating the hull ...
Again, many thanks for your figures.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
the extra weight of whatever
the front hull could hold would not be enough to bring the whole boat

down
in front .

Your friend is right. Even with bow water tank full and a ton of stuff

up
front
in the Vee, my P30 still sat on her lines pretty well.
Maybe someone here has an idea?

RB

Parallax

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
the extra weight of whatever
the front hull could hold would not be enough to bring the whole boat

down
in front .

Your friend is right. Even with bow water tank full and a ton of stuff

up
front
in the Vee, my P30 still sat on her lines pretty well.
Maybe someone here has an idea?

RB

My 28' S2, completely empty, seems just a little down below her lines
at the bow. She has been that way for years. I have the mast down
again because of a mast step problem so I have to check to see if
fixing that somehow affects where she floats (cannot imagine how, even
with a 45' mast, its not that much torque). A saturated hull would
have no effect on where she sits (basic physics). A mystery to me.
Joe

"J Bard" wrote in message ink.net...

My next slip neighbor has a P 40 and is fixing to cruise the world
leaving here in about a week. He has the same problem. But he added a
anchor pulpit and 2 heavy anchors on the bow, chain, ect. Seem just
150 + pounds sticking out forward the deck was enough to do it. He's
putting on a monitor wind vien and a windmill gen this week and hope
that will level him out.

The Pearsons are such nimble boats it's suprising how little weight
can affect it's water line. I'm suprised Bobbys P-30 did not capsize
when he stepped aboard.

Joe
MSV RedCloud

A 1972 Pearson 30' who's bow is down about 2 inches. A friend suggested
gelcoat leaks leading to water saturated fiberglass - another suggested that
even if the front of the boat was waterlogged , the extra weight of whatever
the front hull could hold would not be enough to bring the whole boat down
in front .
Any other Pearson owners out there with knowledge of this ? I don't think
I have enough in front to do this; I did add a roller fuller and a slightly
oversized anchor (kept on the pulpit) but I doubt this was enough ..

Any way to get a reading on the hull for "waterloggedness" ?

MC

For a 40' boat adding 150 pounds at the bow is going to make sailing to
windward in a sea very slower and harder. I suggest he should have his
second anchor ready to deploy near the _stern_.

Cheers MC

Joe wrote:

[...]

Scott Vernon

Especially if it has a diesel.