Parallax

Default A 1972 Pearson 30' who's bow is down about 2 inches...

"J Bard" wrote in message ink.net...
Thanks to you (and all) for your ideas ...
To answer your questions; no, nothing obvious removed from aft ...same
engine, full tank, same batteries ..(well, that's not quite true; same
number; new ones are a bit smaller and lighter ...)
I bought the boat in the summer of '01. I had a survey done....I recall
noting it seemed down in the front when I launched the second summer ...but
to tell you the truth , I could not swear about where the water line was in
the front of the boat during the first season I had her ...it was all too
new (my first real boat; prior was a MacGregor 22)... But,to be sure , the
water line is far above her stripe now...
and she looks odd in the water...
She's in a yard for the winter...I recall now the survey was done with a
simple water saturation meter and perhaps I can get a hold of one. Folks in
the yard are saying much as you are ; play with weight in the back of the
boat prior to barrier coating the hull ...
Again, many thanks for your figures.

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
A "ton of stuff"? I think not.

A Pearson 30 will go down one inch for a load of 851 pounds. If this

load were
concentrated in the bow, one might guess it would be down two inches, or

perhaps
more. Thus, a "ton of stuff" would very likely bring it down a

considerable
amount.

800 pounds is a lot - 12 cubic feet of water, or 100 gallons. Or 800 feet

of
anchor chain. Its hard to believe that some wet glass could absorb this

much.
However, its also possible that a lot of weight removed from the stern

could
cause the same change. Was it re-powered with a lighter engine? Is the

fuel
tank full? Batteries removed? Is the waterline original, or was it

re-drawn
assuming a dinghy in davits?

And, of course, its likely a combination of various factors.

-jeff

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
the extra weight of whatever
the front hull could hold would not be enough to bring the whole boat

down
in front .

Your friend is right. Even with bow water tank full and a ton of stuff

up
front
in the Vee, my P30 still sat on her lines pretty well.
Maybe someone here has an idea?

RB

My 28' S2, completely empty, seems just a little down below her lines
at the bow. She has been that way for years. I have the mast down
again because of a mast step problem so I have to check to see if
fixing that somehow affects where she floats (cannot imagine how, even
with a 45' mast, its not that much torque). A saturated hull would
have no effect on where she sits (basic physics). A mystery to me.