J Bard

Default A 1972 Pearson 30' who's bow is down about 2 inches...

Thanks to you (and all) for your ideas ...
To answer your questions; no, nothing obvious removed from aft ...same
engine, full tank, same batteries ..(well, that's not quite true; same
number; new ones are a bit smaller and lighter ...)
I bought the boat in the summer of '01. I had a survey done....I recall
noting it seemed down in the front when I launched the second summer ...but
to tell you the truth , I could not swear about where the water line was in
the front of the boat during the first season I had her ...it was all too
new (my first real boat; prior was a MacGregor 22)... But,to be sure , the
water line is far above her stripe now...
and she looks odd in the water...
She's in a yard for the winter...I recall now the survey was done with a
simple water saturation meter and perhaps I can get a hold of one. Folks in
the yard are saying much as you are ; play with weight in the back of the
boat prior to barrier coating the hull ...
Again, many thanks for your figures.

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
A "ton of stuff"? I think not.

A Pearson 30 will go down one inch for a load of 851 pounds. If this

load were
concentrated in the bow, one might guess it would be down two inches, or

perhaps
more. Thus, a "ton of stuff" would very likely bring it down a

considerable
amount.

800 pounds is a lot - 12 cubic feet of water, or 100 gallons. Or 800 feet

of
anchor chain. Its hard to believe that some wet glass could absorb this

much.
However, its also possible that a lot of weight removed from the stern

could
cause the same change. Was it re-powered with a lighter engine? Is the

fuel
tank full? Batteries removed? Is the waterline original, or was it

re-drawn
assuming a dinghy in davits?

And, of course, its likely a combination of various factors.

-jeff

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
the extra weight of whatever
the front hull could hold would not be enough to bring the whole boat

down
in front .

Your friend is right. Even with bow water tank full and a ton of stuff

up
front
in the Vee, my P30 still sat on her lines pretty well.
Maybe someone here has an idea?

RB