Simple Simon

Default Standard Horizon GPS

The more I think about this mapping stuff and the ability
to connect to my computer I wonder, since the price
is not all that much different, if a GPS unit like the
Standard Horizon NAV-50 might not be the best choice.

Anybody here have or used a Standard Horizon Magnum NAV-50
handheld GPS. It seems to have all the right bells and whistles
and comes with three CD ROMS with C-MAP marine cartography
also roads and cities (US) 31,000 nav aids can be loaded
into 5MB internal memory. WAAS enabled, Three year warranty,

It's called a Nav50 in the West Marine catalog but it seems
to be called the Nav 40 elsewhere. Maybe the 50 is the latest
version of the 40??

Here's a link: http://www.adventuredriven.com/manav40hagps.html

Here's one for West Marine:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=69987

Given all the features and good warranty it sounds hard to beat.
I wonder about input, however, I can see only three buttons.

S.Simon

Wally

Simple Simon wrote:

Given all the features and good warranty it sounds hard to beat.
I wonder about input, however, I can see only three buttons.

Spec looks pretty good. The 'nav1' screen shot on the West Marine page looks
like it might be hard to read - I'd like to see how that is on the actual
machine. The middle button of the three might be a cursor type (as on the
dearer eTrex models). Having the buttons at the bottom might make it a bit
awkward to hold when using it single-handed - with the buttons above the
screen, my GPS12 sits well in the hand and I work the buttons with my thumb.

--
Wally
www.art-gallery.myby.co.uk

Fishly

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...i?ArtNum=31940

Simple Simon

I bought the Magnum 40 today. It is a nice unit
and the screen is very readable even in bright
sunlight. It has sort of a two-tone format with
black and brown fields that look gold in the
sunlight. It has a nifty red backlighting for
nighttime use. The 40 does not have map
input capabilities but it does come with
a PC cable so it can send its position to
a laptop for use with such programs as
the Cap'n and Offshore Navigator with
electronic charts all of which I managed
to download bootleg copies.

It also has 19 hour battery life (4-AA)
50 hours in battery save mode. 18,000
cities and Airports in worldwide database.
31,000 navigation aids (lights and buoys)
in database. WAAS enabled - 3 meters
accuracy. NMEA in and out. Three-year
warranty.

The little screen on a handheld is just too
small to be of much value when working
with electronic charts so that's why I
ended up getting the necessary software
for my computer and a handheld for
position input. This is the best of both
worlds IMHO.

S.Simon

"Wally" wrote in message ...
Simple Simon wrote:

Given all the features and good warranty it sounds hard to beat.
I wonder about input, however, I can see only three buttons.

Spec looks pretty good. The 'nav1' screen shot on the West Marine page looks
like it might be hard to read - I'd like to see how that is on the actual
machine. The middle button of the three might be a cursor type (as on the
dearer eTrex models). Having the buttons at the bottom might make it a bit
awkward to hold when using it single-handed - with the buttons above the
screen, my GPS12 sits well in the hand and I work the buttons with my thumb.

--
Wally
www.art-gallery.myby.co.uk
Latest addition: Early Works gallery

Bobsprit

The little screen on a handheld is just too
small to be of much value when working
with electronic charts so that's why I
ended up getting the necessary software
for my computer and a handheld for
position input. This is the best of both
worlds IMHO.

The unit is a poor value, feature by feature. Standard didn't build it for any
other reason but to test the market dominated by the superior Garmin line.
The GPS Map76 offers more and has a very usable screen and built in map. All
for under 300.00.
You wasted your money. It doesn't pay not to pay.

RB

Simple Simon

Garmin only has a one-year warranty.

I got three times that and for twenty bucks
less with a military spec unit that is totally
waterproof. Plus it came with the
serial cable for attaching it to my computer.

The Garmin 72 is an equivalent unit with
respect to features but price wise and
warranty-wise (one year) it simply
cannot cut the mustard. The screen
has lower resolution, is not readable
in bright sunlight unless head at just
the right angle. Has shorter battery
run time, has a flimsy feel to it, is
slippery being all plastic with no
rubber cushions or pads.

For utility, the Standard Horizon has it
all over the Garmin, but for showing off
to your dock buddies the Garmin is
probably the unit best suited for you.
Those easily impressed by the Garmin
are those easily impressed by a big
advertising budget and name recognition
over true and lasting value.

S.Simon

"Bobsprit" wrote in message ...
The little screen on a handheld is just too
small to be of much value when working
with electronic charts so that's why I
ended up getting the necessary software
for my computer and a handheld for
position input. This is the best of both
worlds IMHO.

The unit is a poor value, feature by feature. Standard didn't build it for any
other reason but to test the market dominated by the superior Garmin line.
The GPS Map76 offers more and has a very usable screen and built in map. All
for under 300.00.
You wasted your money. It doesn't pay not to pay.

RB

Bobsprit

Garmin only has a one-year warranty.

Dealers offer replacement warranties and I got a 3 year and for free.
While your crappy featurless unit is off being hammered on by monkeys, I'll
simply be handed a new one!

RB
Bobsprit

totally
waterproof. Plus it came with the
serial cable for attaching it to my computer.

Garmin 76 has MAPS, and is WATERPROOF and it FLOATS!
It also came with a cable and 12V power cable.

You wasted your money on a subpar unit with a 1995 feature set. Congrats!

RB
Simple Simon

Can you read. I'm comparing my unit to the
Garmin 72 (equivalent price) NOT the 76
which cost over a hundred bucks more.
Get your head out of your ass for once.

I purposely did not buy a unit with maps (sic)
because charts are worthless displayed on
a puny two inch diagonal low resolution
display. You can take your 76 full of maps
and shove it. It will feel right at home there
in company with more of the same.

S.Simon