Simple Simon

Default Standard Horizon GPS

Garmin only has a one-year warranty.

I got three times that and for twenty bucks
less with a military spec unit that is totally
waterproof. Plus it came with the
serial cable for attaching it to my computer.

The Garmin 72 is an equivalent unit with
respect to features but price wise and
warranty-wise (one year) it simply
cannot cut the mustard. The screen
has lower resolution, is not readable
in bright sunlight unless head at just
the right angle. Has shorter battery
run time, has a flimsy feel to it, is
slippery being all plastic with no
rubber cushions or pads.

For utility, the Standard Horizon has it
all over the Garmin, but for showing off
to your dock buddies the Garmin is
probably the unit best suited for you.
Those easily impressed by the Garmin
are those easily impressed by a big
advertising budget and name recognition
over true and lasting value.

S.Simon

"Bobsprit" wrote in message ...
The little screen on a handheld is just too
small to be of much value when working
with electronic charts so that's why I
ended up getting the necessary software
for my computer and a handheld for
position input. This is the best of both
worlds IMHO.

The unit is a poor value, feature by feature. Standard didn't build it for any
other reason but to test the market dominated by the superior Garmin line.
The GPS Map76 offers more and has a very usable screen and built in map. All
for under 300.00.
You wasted your money. It doesn't pay not to pay.

RB