Bobsprit

Default Black water?

When looking through specs on very large cruising yachts I see the terms
referring to "black and grey" water in addition to regular fresh water tankage.
Can someone explain-is this tankage for not potable use, such as heads and
such?

Thanks!

RB
JN

Never heard of black water. However, water that is usable but not potable
is usually referred to as grey water. This would be like water from the
sinks, etc. On land this water is usually used for irrigation usage,
usually watering the lawn and maybe washing the car. Therefore I will make
a guess that black water is strictly from the head. If there is a
separation between black and grey water check to see if the 34(36) has three
holding tanks, one for potable water, another for water from the kitchen and
lavatory sinks, and a third for holding crap and stuff.

Bobsprit

If there is a
separation between black and grey water check to see if the 34(36) has three
holding tanks, one for potable water, another for water from the kitchen and
lavatory sinks, and a third for holding crap and stuff.

This Black/Grey/Water designation is something I see in specs for mega yachts
generally. Like my C&C 32, the 36 has two fresh water tanks.

RB

Bobsprit

No holding tank? I guess if you only day sail you don't need one

Uh, Jeff, the holding tank is not listed under "fresh water" tankage. Remind me
to bring bottled water if I ever pay you a visit!

Zikes!

RB

Jeff Morris

Context, Bob, context. You made two posts about total tankage, not just fresh water, and
even named the thread "black water."

Since you never stay out long enough to use the head you probably don't appreciate that
black water size can be more important than fresh water size.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
No holding tank? I guess if you only day sail you don't need one

Uh, Jeff, the holding tank is not listed under "fresh water" tankage. Remind me
to bring bottled water if I ever pay you a visit!

Zikes!

RB

Bobsprit

Context, Bob, context. You made two posts about total tankage, not just fresh
water, and
even named the thread "black water."

Sorry, Jeff, but my post about the C&C refers specifically to FRESH WATER.
See below. Your comment also refered to the C&C, so it's you who missed the
context, which was exact.

This Black/Grey/Water designation is something I see in specs for mega yachts
generally. Like my C&C 32, the 36 has two fresh water tanks.

I win again...a somewhat meager victory, but a victory all the same!

Yahhhoooooie!

RB
Bobsprit

My understanding, in a nutshell, is that "black water" comes from the
toilet, and "grey water" comes from the sink.

So why is grey water and potable water not the same. Why not support a greater
fresh water system overall and eliminate the grey water?

RB
Bobsprit

Good Lord!??

Yes, may I help you?