Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Jonathan Ganz

Default anchoring techniques

I'm in the process of getting a class together for some
of the more experienced students. One of the questions
that seems to come up from time to time is how to
anchor on the bay.

Anchoring out here is pretty simple, since bay mud is
pretty sticky. Assuming you even get close to the right
scope, it hardly ever a problem (with some caveats about
distance to shore and the occasional rock outcroping).
However, several people are interested in learning about
other anchoring techniques. The two that seem to come
up the most are two bow anchors and mooring-ball-bow/stern
anchor.

Up until now, we teach single bow (on the water of course)
and mention the other two, with a reference to more info in
the book. But, I'm wondering if I should go into more detail
(in the classroom, since there are more important things to
do on the water).

What do you use?

What do you think is important, given the conditions I
described?