DSK

Default anchoring techniques

Jeff Morris wrote:

I used to think two anchors is a PITA, but the Fortress is so light it can be managed
easily. I've only had badly tangled rodes once, and even then it was sorted out in 15
minutes.

It may be that with twin props, it's easier for you to veer out a second rode than for other
tpyes of boats. Or if you are already determined to splash the dinghy.

The problem I have with the "one large anchor" approach is that you have to then use a
primary that's not just one level oversized, but two or three.

No, it just has to be the right size & type, with the right rode. It shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe if you're going to carry 3 or 4 anchors anyway, you might as well carry smaller ones and
use 'em two at a time? That sort of makes sense, especially in a multi.

Much of the time that I
double anchor the decision is made after the fact, when the wind turns out stronger that
expected, or the holding ground is softer. My 35# Delta is good for 95% of my anchoring,
adding the Fortress allows me the sleep in otherwise marginal conditions. I probably use
it about 5-10% of the time.

Ah so, I thought you meant that you set a 2nd anchor most of the time. A Delta is like a plow,
right? We have a 35# CQR (with the hinged shank) which we use most of the time anchoring, and
it holds a 10 ton tugboat just fine. The night we anchored in the middle of Willoughby Bay
(soft mud) in Norfolk in 40 knot winds it held just fine... on the second try, after I got the
rags & old shoes & other trash cleared from it....

Also, I'm convinced that two anchors offers much more security than one large, especially
when the two are different styles. I've never dragged an inch with two anchors, nor have
I heard of any such problem except in extreme conditions. And when the "big one" comes,
I'll be pulling out a third.

My hurricane ground tackle is to be large (60 or 70#) Bruce with a bundle of of cinderblock on
the chain.

Of course, having a lightweight catamaran, I'm not eager to oversize my ground tackle.
But I've also become convinced that the most important overlooked factor is anchoring is
that the gear should be light enough that you don't hesitate to haul and re-deploy if the
first set does not work out as expected. Maybe a third of the time we decide it didn't
work out right - either we dragged a bit, the conditions changed, or maybe someone
squeezed in where I didn't think was appropriate. Having relatively light gear, I just
haul it and reset.

That's a good point, but hauling two sets is more difficult and time consuming. PLus, if
you're dragging, the amount of time spent raising & clearing the second anchor could be 10
seconds longer than the amount of time it takes to hit the bricks. And that's the one time the
rodes will be twisted etc etc. I just don't like the idea, guess that makes me a cantankerous
old fogey.

My pet peeve is the "herd instinct" where people see three boats on the west side of an
anchorage, figure that must be where the good holding is, and drop their anchor right in
the middle. This leads to the conversation: "Do you think I'm too close?" he says from
about 5 feet away. "Maybe just a bit" I say, trying to be polite. "Well, don't worry,
You'll swing, I'll swing, it'll work out. Have a beer, don't worry." "Yeh, right," I
mumble, as I try to look like an axe murderer to his wife. "Honey, isn't that Ralphie's
Carver over on the other side? Maybe we should check it out?" his wife says. Thank God!
[true story]

heh heh that's when I pull out the 'lectric guitar.

Have you read 'Coarse Cruising' by Michael Green? One of the funniest sailing books ever
written (in fact it gets my vote for definitely the funniest) and he has a dozen or so
hilarious anchoring stories.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King