Jeff Morris

Default anchoring techniques

"DSK" wrote in message ...

I read Jeff's post with interest, and I respectfully disagree.
Setting 2 anchors is a major PITA and offers no holding
advantage over a bigger single anchor. It does limit swing room,
and that's important sometimes.

I used to think two anchors is a PITA, but the Fortress is so light it can be managed
easily. I've only had badly tangled rodes once, and even then it was sorted out in 15
minutes.

The problem I have with the "one large anchor" approach is that you have to then use a
primary that's not just one level oversized, but two or three. Much of the time that I
double anchor the decision is made after the fact, when the wind turns out stronger that
expected, or the holding ground is softer. My 35# Delta is good for 95% of my anchoring,
adding the Fortress allows me the sleep in otherwise marginal conditions. I probably use
it about 5-10% of the time.

Also, I'm convinced that two anchors offers much more security than one large, especially
when the two are different styles. I've never dragged an inch with two anchors, nor have
I heard of any such problem except in extreme conditions. And when the "big one" comes,
I'll be pulling out a third.

Of course, having a lightweight catamaran, I'm not eager to oversize my ground tackle.
But I've also become convinced that the most important overlooked factor is anchoring is
that the gear should be light enough that you don't hesitate to haul and re-deploy if the
first set does not work out as expected. Maybe a third of the time we decide it didn't
work out right - either we dragged a bit, the conditions changed, or maybe someone
squeezed in where I didn't think was appropriate. Having relatively light gear, I just
haul it and reset.

snip

I've been surprised at how few people really put any effort into
anchoring, or who put a lot of effort into the wrong (IMHO)
thing. For example, on the advice of people like Skipper Bob a
lot of people are setting two anchors, but using little or no
chain, anchoring in stupid places, and not bothering to take
bearings or transits.

My pet peeve is the "herd instinct" where people see three boats on the west side of an
anchorage, figure that must be where the good holding is, and drop their anchor right in
the middle. This leads to the conversation: "Do you think I'm too close?" he says from
about 5 feet away. "Maybe just a bit" I say, trying to be polite. "Well, don't worry,
You'll swing, I'll swing, it'll work out. Have a beer, don't worry." "Yeh, right," I
mumble, as I try to look like an axe murderer to his wife. "Honey, isn't that Ralphie's
Carver over on the other side? Maybe we should check it out?" his wife says. Thank God!
[true story]