Simple Simon

Default Faulty depth finder attributed to whale attack!!

Booby doesn't count.

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message ...
There have been numerous whale sightings in 20' of water and within 1 mile
of City Island NY.

SV

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message
These pictures were taken in Stellwagen Bank in about 60 feet of water:
http://www.sv-loki.com/whales/

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
Anybody running a depth sounder in water deep enough for large
whales deserves to be attacked.

S.Simon

"Sidney Greenstreet" wrote in message

ink.net...
Sydney: Marine electronics technician A.E. Patterson has discovered

that the
depth finder used aboard a sailboat that was attacked by a whale was

faulty
and may have provoked the whale into attacking the craft.
Marine biologist Ian McDonald said the sounds from the defective

transducer
mimicked those of a territorial whale. Patterson added the transducer

may
have given faulty depth readings as well. Yacht skipper Geoff Whitlam

said
he noticed no malfunction of the unit at all and remarked that at the

time
of the attack the head was clogged and being unplugged. Tommy

Woodcock,
aboard and unclogging the head at the time of attack added that the

sound of
the pumping unit was quite strange as it was filled with toilet paper

and a
unusually large grogen. "The grogen had fermented for about a day in

the
escape chute" Woodcock asserted. "Perhaps the aquatic mammal

recognized the
yacht as a whale giving birth to a mutated offspring and acted

accordingly".
"Needless to say, it'll be a while before I patronize Rachel Carson's

tuck
shop, I couldn't stomach strolling about with a trolley load of Aussie

pies
and vegemide".

Simple Simon

Good memory but that statement does not mean I don't simply
turn the thing off when off-soundings. What's the use of having a
depth sounder on when all it shows is no bottom?

S.Simon

"The Carrolls" wrote in message ...
Hay, you said " I don't ;ike to see readings on my depth sounder for
extended periods of time,..." I guess you also deserve to be attacked.
[...]

Simple Simon

Bull****. A chart shows contours, bottom make up such as
rock, sand, shell etc., possible upcoming obstructions and
the like. This info is simply not available on a yacht depth
sounder.

S.Simon - not talking about big ship crap here . . .

From: "Simple Simon"
Date: 10/06/2003 17:25 Pacific Standard Time
In sixty feet of water a depth sounder tells you less than the
chart of the area.

S.Simon

It's post like this which confirm Neal's lack of experience and amateur status
regarding navigation and actual, at sea time.

Shen

Simple Simon

And, good morning to you, sir!

With the advent of GPS and its accurate nature, plotting your
position on a chart is a more accurate method than using
depth readings and dead reckoning. It's that simple.

S.Simon

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
Good Morning Simple,

Many of us SAILORS that sail among Whales use charts and depth finders
to get a location of exactly where we are on the chart. This is an
accepted practest in DED piloting.

We finally got a nice cleaning rain last night and we have about 5mph
wind at the house here. Waiting for my dog to wake up. We'll probabilly
spend the day out on the water. The Pilothouse will come into play. Nice
and dry and warm.

OT

Jeff Morris

Tell that to the crew of the Royal Majesty. They traveled most of the way from Bermuda to
Nantucket unaware that their GPS was not working. In the several hours before they
grounded a glance at the depth sounder would have shown that they were dangerously off
course.

Frankly I was appalled by this incident, since I have never relied souly on GPS, but
always verify position with soundings or bearings.

http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/1997/mar9701.pdf

--
-jeff
"Constant Vigilance!" - Frances W. Wright

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
And, good morning to you, sir!

With the advent of GPS and its accurate nature, plotting your
position on a chart is a more accurate method than using
depth readings and dead reckoning. It's that simple.

S.Simon

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message

Good Morning Simple,

Many of us SAILORS that sail among Whales use charts and depth finders
to get a location of exactly where we are on the chart. This is an
accepted practest in DED piloting.

We finally got a nice cleaning rain last night and we have about 5mph
wind at the house here. Waiting for my dog to wake up. We'll probabilly
spend the day out on the water. The Pilothouse will come into play. Nice
and dry and warm.

OT

Jonathan Ganz

You should not rely on a GPS when using a chart. It's a tool
only. It tells you nothing about your actual position relative to
actual obstructions. Charts are notoriously inaccurate and
don't match long/lat info.

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
And, good morning to you, sir!

With the advent of GPS and its accurate nature, plotting your
position on a chart is a more accurate method than using
depth readings and dead reckoning. It's that simple.

S.Simon

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message

Good Morning Simple,

Many of us SAILORS that sail among Whales use charts and depth finders
to get a location of exactly where we are on the chart. This is an
accepted practest in DED piloting.

We finally got a nice cleaning rain last night and we have about 5mph
wind at the house here. Waiting for my dog to wake up. We'll probabilly
spend the day out on the water. The Pilothouse will come into play. Nice
and dry and warm.

OT

Simple Simon

You're point is not valid for sailors. Only professional motor
boaters carry on in such a stupid fashion. Only sloppy captains
like Shen44 and Otnmbrd allow such a slovenly-run ship.

Any cruising sailor worth his salt can look into and at the water
and tell immediately if he is in shoal water by the color, wave
action, shape, etc. Depth sounders are simply not a vital instrument
of navigation. I'd be willing to bet more boats go aground while
the operator is looking at the instrument than when using visual
clues of sea state, color of water, etc.

S.Simon

[...]

Simple Simon

I repeat, WE'RE NOT TALKING BIG SHIP CRAP HERE!

Depth sounders give a depth for sure and generally they are
pretty accurate. However, what good is a depth when a
vessel could be any number of miles along a contour or on
a flat? Answer - no good at all. What matters is lat/lon with
high degrees of accuracy. Knowing your depth is very vague
information at best when attempting to place a fix on a chart.

Small sailing yachts can rely on GPS so they do not need depth
sounders as much as big ships. When a small sailing yacht is
getting into dangerously shallow water the eyes of an experienced
will look at the wave action, color of the water etc. and be able
to ascertain the depth to a high degree of accuracy.

Now, get out of here and go back to rec.boats where you belong.

S.Simon

From: "Simple Simon"
Date: 10/07/2003 08:10 Pacific Standard Time
Bull****. A chart shows contours, bottom make up such as
rock, sand, shell etc., possible upcoming obstructions and
the like. This info is simply not available on a yacht depth
sounder.

S.Simon - not talking about big ship crap here . . .

Not talking about "big ship crap" .... talking about Navigation.
A chart is nothing more than a "picture" of an area that you may be in .... by
itself, it's useless, until you can start applying other information, gleaned
from other sources to locate yourself in a position on that chart.
A fathometer, be it a recording, digital readout, or blinking light will help
give you information to locate that position (personally, prefer the
recording).
Prior to the advent of all the electronic nav aids, such as LORAN, GPS,
fathometers were much more frequently used to check, and even locate, ones
position on a chart, be it in shallow or deep water.
It's just another tool you have available .... shame you don't understand it's
use .... but expected .....

Shen