Capt. Mooron

Default French Rig

I was at the DYC yesterday and saw a Nordica 20 that had supposedly been in
the South Pacific for 9 years before being sailed to Halifax via Panama.
This is the strangest rig I have ever seen. It was called a "French Rigged"
system.
It has a mast placed just aft of amidships and 2 roller furling headsails...
no boom, no mainsail. Apparently it sails... does anyone have any
experience with this type of set-up? Has anyone else ever heard of it?

CM

Jeff Morris

I've heard of the twin headsail with a midship mast, but always with a main. Even a
Prout, with the mast just forward of the cockpit carries a main. Of course, on a 20 foot
boat, that would allow about 8 foot boom.

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
I was at the DYC yesterday and saw a Nordica 20 that had supposedly been in
the South Pacific for 9 years before being sailed to Halifax via Panama.
This is the strangest rig I have ever seen. It was called a "French Rigged"
system.
It has a mast placed just aft of amidships and 2 roller furling headsails...
no boom, no mainsail. Apparently it sails... does anyone have any
experience with this type of set-up? Has anyone else ever heard of it?

CM

Simple Simon

Leave it the French to rely on two inefficient and
trouble-prone sails. Just try to heave-to with
such an ignorant rig. Poor choice of boat as well.

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message ...
I was at the DYC yesterday and saw a Nordica 20 that had supposedly been in
the South Pacific for 9 years before being sailed to Halifax via Panama.
This is the strangest rig I have ever seen. It was called a "French Rigged"
system.
It has a mast placed just aft of amidships and 2 roller furling headsails...
no boom, no mainsail. Apparently it sails... does anyone have any
experience with this type of set-up? Has anyone else ever heard of it?

CM

Capt. Mooron

Here Jeff... I found a reference to it.... scroll down to the photos and
newspaper clips. The story seems different to what I have heard.

http://www.nordicaboats.com/html/photos.html

CM

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message
| I've heard of the twin headsail with a midship mast, but always with a
main. Even a
| Prout, with the mast just forward of the cockpit carries a main. Of
course, on a 20 foot
| boat, that would allow about 8 foot boom.
|

| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
| I was at the DYC yesterday and saw a Nordica 20 that had supposedly been
in
| the South Pacific for 9 years before being sailed to Halifax via Panama.
| This is the strangest rig I have ever seen. It was called a "French
Rigged"
| system.
| It has a mast placed just aft of amidships and 2 roller furling
headsails...
| no boom, no mainsail. Apparently it sails... does anyone have any
| experience with this type of set-up? Has anyone else ever heard of it?
|
| CM

Frank and Ronnie Maier

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:
I've heard of the twin headsail with a midship mast, but always with a main. Even a
Prout, with the mast just forward of the cockpit carries a main. Of course, on a 20 foot
boat, that would allow about 8 foot boom.

"Capt. Mooron" wrote...
I was at the DYC yesterday and saw a Nordica 20 that had supposedly been in
the South Pacific for 9 years before being sailed to Halifax via Panama.
This is the strangest rig I have ever seen. It was called a "French Rigged"
system.
It has a mast placed just aft of amidships and 2 roller furling headsails...
no boom, no mainsail. Apparently it sails... does anyone have any
experience with this type of set-up? Has anyone else ever heard of it?

I remember about 20~25 years ago, Garry Hoyt designed what he called a
"delta" rig. Mast was father aft than you describe (rear of
cockpit)with this rig and there were two roller-furling sails forward,
cutter-style. It also featured one of his gun-mount spinnakers.

I suspect it was a real speedster off the wind. Don't think it ever
went into production.

Frank

Capt. Mooron

Check it out for yourself..... scroll down you can't miss it.

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
| Leave it the French to rely on two inefficient and
| trouble-prone sails. Just try to heave-to with
| such an ignorant rig. Poor choice of boat as well.
|

| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
| I was at the DYC yesterday and saw a Nordica 20 that had supposedly been
in
| the South Pacific for 9 years before being sailed to Halifax via Panama.
| This is the strangest rig I have ever seen. It was called a "French
Rigged"
| system.
| It has a mast placed just aft of amidships and 2 roller furling
headsails...
| no boom, no mainsail. Apparently it sails... does anyone have any
| experience with this type of set-up? Has anyone else ever heard of it?
|
| CM

Frank and Ronnie Maier

"Capt. Mooron" wrote:
Check it out for yourself..... scroll down you can't miss it.

http://www.nordicaboats.com/html/photos.html

Yep, looks pretty much like Hoyt's "delta" rig (Delta 26), except
Hoyt's hull was a modern, efficient underbody with a fin and without a
bowsprit. Plus, like I said, Hoyt also had one of his gun-mount
spinnakers on his design.

Frank
The_navigator©

Why? Headsails are very efficient up wind sails...

Cheers MC

Capt. Mooron wrote:
When I first saw it I thought it would never go upwind.... heck I thought
it had yet to be tried.. then I heard it had been sailed from the Pacific to
Halifax.

The_navigator©

Are you saying you think sailing under mainsail alone is a good way to
sail to windward?

Cheers MC

Capt. Mooron wrote:
So you concur with Bob's technique of sailing with only the Genoa and
leaving the main secure and wrapped in it's cover?

CM

"The_navigator©" wrote in message
| Why? Headsails are very efficient up wind sails...
|
| Cheers MC
|
| Capt. Mooron wrote:
| When I first saw it I thought it would never go upwind.... heck I
thought
| it had yet to be tried.. then I heard it had been sailed from the
Pacific to
| Halifax.

O/T Any French blood out there? Don White General 0 July 16th 04 01:36 PM
French canals Vic Cruising 2 June 1st 04 04:13 AM
odd request - wood species in French Max Camirand Boat Building 9 March 7th 04 12:48 AM
OT--The French...again! NOYB General 8 December 29th 03 11:21 PM