Frank and Ronnie Maier

Default French Rig

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote:
I've heard of the twin headsail with a midship mast, but always with a main. Even a
Prout, with the mast just forward of the cockpit carries a main. Of course, on a 20 foot
boat, that would allow about 8 foot boom.

"Capt. Mooron" wrote...
I was at the DYC yesterday and saw a Nordica 20 that had supposedly been in
the South Pacific for 9 years before being sailed to Halifax via Panama.
This is the strangest rig I have ever seen. It was called a "French Rigged"
system.
It has a mast placed just aft of amidships and 2 roller furling headsails...
no boom, no mainsail. Apparently it sails... does anyone have any
experience with this type of set-up? Has anyone else ever heard of it?

I remember about 20~25 years ago, Garry Hoyt designed what he called a
"delta" rig. Mast was father aft than you describe (rear of
cockpit)with this rig and there were two roller-furling sails forward,
cutter-style. It also featured one of his gun-mount spinnakers.

I suspect it was a real speedster off the wind. Don't think it ever
went into production.

Frank