Peter Wiley

Default Thanks, Skitch

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 17:55:34 +1000, Oz1
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 07:40:56 GMT, (Peter
Wiley) wrote:

Far as I'm aware, there aren't any. Only the pelagic sharks have
homocercal tails. Of those, I can't think of any that have an
invisibly small 2nd dorsal fin and a heavily hooked 1st dorsal fin.

Looks like a cetacean, doesn't key out to be any known shark.
Bob****'s full of it - as usual. As to whether it's a porpoise or
dolphin - dunno. Too little detail to tell and it's not my field.
Hell, I have a hard time telling a fin whale from a humpback. Killers
are the only ones I can identify on sight.

Doesn't take much to get you started does it ;-
Interesting though.

It's raining, I'm bored, I'm avoiding going home and cooking dinner.

I keep hoping to see a blue whale but never have. Nobody has for years
(on our ships). The damned USSR has a lot to answer for, except they
got what they deserved. *******s kept killing blues long after it was
prohibited and just lied about it. Typical.

OT, a leopard seal killed a diver down south recently. Not an
Australian tho, our divers aren't there yet.

Can't remember, are they the beasts we get on the south of Kangaroo
Island? Big ugly agressive suckers they were.

http://www.aad.gov.au/default.asp?casid=1769

Can't remember if their range is as far north as Kangaroo Is. They're
fast, aggressive and dangerous, all right. You'll note that the photo
on the left shows one threatening to bite Bob****'s nose.

BTW, do you know this guy?
http://www.personal.usyd.edu.au/~buz/home.html
done some interesting stuff on isopods and enviro impact

Nope, tho he looks my vintage - old. I'm outa biology these days, been
lobotomised and made management. My reward is to get to discuss cargo
manifests and the like :-(
katysails

a leopard seal killed a diver

I thought seals were rather benign vreatures unless in rut....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Capt. Mooron

Not the Leopard Seal.... it's a predator..... at 3 meters [10ft] 500kg
[1100lbs] it would prove awesome. Walrus up in the arctic have been known to
sink boats and kill hunters as well. Not all seals are friendly and
cute..... most are very tasty! ;-D

CM

"katysails" wrote in message
| a leopard seal killed a diver
|
| I thought seals were rather benign vreatures unless in rut....
|
| --
| katysails
| s/v Chanteuse
| Kirie Elite 32
| http://katysails.tripod.com
|
| "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax
| and get used to the idea." - Robert A. Heinlein

CANDChelp

Walrus up in the arctic have been known to
sink boats and kill hunters as well.

I was NOWHERE near the arctic!!!

(A gift for Scotty and Donal)

RB
Peter Wiley

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:59:01 -0300, "Capt. Mooron"
wrote:

Not the Leopard Seal.... it's a predator..... at 3 meters [10ft] 500kg
[1100lbs] it would prove awesome. Walrus up in the arctic have been known to
sink boats and kill hunters as well. Not all seals are friendly and
cute..... most are very tasty! ;-D

How true. Seal steak fried on a shovel blade :-)

Leopard seals are scary because, like crocs, they can, will and do
come out of the water after prey. You need to watch what you're doing
near the edges of icefloes, esp if there are penguins around.

CANDChelp

You need to watch what you're doing
near the edges of icefloes, esp if there are penguins around.

Here that, stay away from the edges of the iceflows!!!

RB
Peter Wiley

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:13:16 -0300, "Capt. Mooron"
wrote:

Bob... it's not all that uncommon to go snorkeling along the edge of an ice
pan. I've done it quite a few times. It's really cool under the ice and the
clarity is phenomenal. Walking along the edge of iceflows in the arctic
presents no problem.

The biggest piece of ice Bob's seen is in a glass. Oh wait, I forgot -
he lives in a crap climate. And a crap environment. The biggest piece
of clean ice he's seen is in a glass.

Whereas you & I know first-hand what the endless delicate shades of
blue there are to see, looking at white ice disappearing into indigo
water, and the delicate light effects from the play of sunlight
through pressure ridges, snow over clear ice, and the bands of green
where glacial ice has partially melted and refrozen into sea ice.
We've seen the ice-blink on the horizon, and the water sky.

Bob will never be able to walk on the edge of a floe. He'll never see
an iceberg carving its way through an endless plateau of sea ice.
He'll never be able to sit and talk with penguins. He'll never see
seals playing in the tide cracks and Adelie penguins swarrking at you
when you turn their floe over. He'll never have the pleasure of
drilling cores in icefloes with half a dozen Emperor penguins
supervising your every move. He'll learn what little he knows from
watching Discovery Channel, paying other people to guide him about,
and living a second-hand life.

And he deserves it.

"CANDChelp" wrote in message
| You need to watch what you're doing
| near the edges of icefloes, esp if there are penguins around.
|
| Here that, stay away from the edges of the iceflows!!!
|
| RB

CANDChelp

The biggest piece of ice Bob's seen is in a glass. Oh wait, I forgot -
he lives in a crap climate. And a crap environment. The biggest piece
of clean ice he's seen is in a glass.

Gosh, that's quite a sense of humor you have there!
Too bad Tracy Ulman is off the air.

Bwahahahahaha

RB
CANDChelp

He'll never be able to sit and talk with penguins.

I've handled Emperor penguins and more exotic Animals than you'll ever manage.

RB
CANDChelp

He'll learn what little he knows from
watching Discovery Channel, paying other people to guide him about,
and living a second-hand life.

Ever climb down into a cave on a volcanic Island in search of a trap door
spider that lives in bat guano?
I have.
Ever handle a just born pair of baby gorillas?
I have.
Ever track through a rain forrest in Trinidad's Centipede island in search of a
giant foot long centipede?
I have....and bloody hell, we found two!

Forget it, Pete. By the time I was 20 I'd been on 11 NY Zoological Society
expeditions through the Museum of Natural History where my father worked for 25
years as a Naturalist.
You lose again!

RB

Here Skitch Jeff Morris ASA 49 July 10th 03 06:17 PM
Scaredy Skitch! Bobsprit ASA 2 July 7th 03 07:15 PM