Peter Wiley

Default Thanks, Skitch

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:13:16 -0300, "Capt. Mooron"
wrote:

Bob... it's not all that uncommon to go snorkeling along the edge of an ice
pan. I've done it quite a few times. It's really cool under the ice and the
clarity is phenomenal. Walking along the edge of iceflows in the arctic
presents no problem.

The biggest piece of ice Bob's seen is in a glass. Oh wait, I forgot -
he lives in a crap climate. And a crap environment. The biggest piece
of clean ice he's seen is in a glass.

Whereas you & I know first-hand what the endless delicate shades of
blue there are to see, looking at white ice disappearing into indigo
water, and the delicate light effects from the play of sunlight
through pressure ridges, snow over clear ice, and the bands of green
where glacial ice has partially melted and refrozen into sea ice.
We've seen the ice-blink on the horizon, and the water sky.

Bob will never be able to walk on the edge of a floe. He'll never see
an iceberg carving its way through an endless plateau of sea ice.
He'll never be able to sit and talk with penguins. He'll never see
seals playing in the tide cracks and Adelie penguins swarrking at you
when you turn their floe over. He'll never have the pleasure of
drilling cores in icefloes with half a dozen Emperor penguins
supervising your every move. He'll learn what little he knows from
watching Discovery Channel, paying other people to guide him about,
and living a second-hand life.

And he deserves it.