Peter Wiley

Default Thanks, Skitch

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 17:55:34 +1000, Oz1
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 07:40:56 GMT, (Peter
Wiley) wrote:

Far as I'm aware, there aren't any. Only the pelagic sharks have
homocercal tails. Of those, I can't think of any that have an
invisibly small 2nd dorsal fin and a heavily hooked 1st dorsal fin.

Looks like a cetacean, doesn't key out to be any known shark.
Bob****'s full of it - as usual. As to whether it's a porpoise or
dolphin - dunno. Too little detail to tell and it's not my field.
Hell, I have a hard time telling a fin whale from a humpback. Killers
are the only ones I can identify on sight.

Doesn't take much to get you started does it ;-
Interesting though.

It's raining, I'm bored, I'm avoiding going home and cooking dinner.

I keep hoping to see a blue whale but never have. Nobody has for years
(on our ships). The damned USSR has a lot to answer for, except they
got what they deserved. *******s kept killing blues long after it was
prohibited and just lied about it. Typical.

OT, a leopard seal killed a diver down south recently. Not an
Australian tho, our divers aren't there yet.

Can't remember, are they the beasts we get on the south of Kangaroo
Island? Big ugly agressive suckers they were.

http://www.aad.gov.au/default.asp?casid=1769

Can't remember if their range is as far north as Kangaroo Is. They're
fast, aggressive and dangerous, all right. You'll note that the photo
on the left shows one threatening to bite Bob****'s nose.

BTW, do you know this guy?
http://www.personal.usyd.edu.au/~buz/home.html
done some interesting stuff on isopods and enviro impact

Nope, tho he looks my vintage - old. I'm outa biology these days, been
lobotomised and made management. My reward is to get to discuss cargo
manifests and the like :-(