Gilligan

Default GPS unit provides data to law enforcement

Drowning victim thrown from boat going 116 mph
Omaha World-Herald ^ | 7-15-03 | Susan Szalewski

Drowning victim thrown from boat going 116 mph

BY SUSAN SZALEWSKI WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

A Council Bluffs man who drowned in the Missouri River was thrown from a
boat traveling more than 100 mph, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office has
determined.

The Sheriff's Office said Monday that it would seek criminal charges against
the boat's driver, Edward Guyett of Omaha.

A passenger in the boat on May 31, Bruce Turner of Council Bluffs, was
ejected when the boat struck its own wake.

Rescuers and other boaters were unable to find Turner after he went
overboard. His body was found four days later.

The month-long Sheriff's Office investigation was unusual, Capt. Steve
Freese said, because data was available from a global positioning system on
the boat.

Experts from the system's manufacturer in Olathe, Kan., were able to
determine the boat's exact speed - 116 mph - as Turner fell overboard, he
said.

Neither Turner nor Guyett was wearing a life jacket, Freese said.

Capt. Mooron

Yeah... they may be hard pressed to find anything but seamanship issues and
operation of a vessel in a dangerous manner. The Captain is responsible for
any crew or guests.

CM

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

| Criminal charges for what, I wonder. Stupidity? As far as I know there is
no speed limit posted on the Missouri River.

| "Gilligan" wrote in message
link.net...
| Drowning victim thrown from boat going 116 mph
| Omaha World-Herald ^ | 7-15-03 | Susan Szalewski
|
| Drowning victim thrown from boat going 116 mph
|
| BY SUSAN SZALEWSKI WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER
|
| A Council Bluffs man who drowned in the Missouri River was thrown from a
| boat traveling more than 100 mph, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office
has
| determined.
|
| The Sheriff's Office said Monday that it would seek criminal charges
against
| the boat's driver, Edward Guyett of Omaha.
|
| A passenger in the boat on May 31, Bruce Turner of Council Bluffs, was
| ejected when the boat struck its own wake.
|
| Rescuers and other boaters were unable to find Turner after he went
| overboard. His body was found four days later.
|
| The month-long Sheriff's Office investigation was unusual, Capt. Steve
| Freese said, because data was available from a global positioning system
on
| the boat.
|
| Experts from the system's manufacturer in Olathe, Kan., were able to
| determine the boat's exact speed - 116 mph - as Turner fell overboard,
he
| said.
|
| Neither Turner nor Guyett was wearing a life jacket, Freese said.

Simple Simon

Some of those bad-assed boats are made to go that fast. Is is
criminally negligent to operate them that fast? If you are breaking
a posted speed limit and somebody dies in the process of flying
out of your boat then there is definitely negligence involved and it
can be negligent homicide. Some idiot who is not holding on or
wearing a seatbelt or life vest is at fault himself under the conditions
stated. I don't see what the operator can be charged with and have
it stick when it comes to a jury.

wrote in message ...
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:19:57 -0400, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

Criminal charges for what, I wonder. Stupidity? As far as I know there is no speed limit posted on the Missouri River.

Negligent Homicide could very easily apply. They said CRIMINAL
charges, not traffic violations.

BB

Simple Simon

And, you are obviously a linguini-spined liberal who
wished to take no responsibility for his own actions.

wrote in message ...
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:39:15 -0400, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

Some of those bad-assed boats are made to go that fast. Is is
criminally negligent to operate them that fast? If you are breaking
a posted speed limit and somebody dies in the process of flying
out of your boat then there is definitely negligence involved and it
can be negligent homicide. Some idiot who is not holding on or
wearing a seatbelt or life vest is at fault himself under the conditions
stated. I don't see what the operator can be charged with and have
it stick when it comes to a jury.

You are either very, very, ignorant, stupid beyond belief, or you are
hallucinating, if you think what you just posted sounds sane.

BB

wrote:

Criminal charges for what, I wonder. Stupidity? As far as I know there is no speed limit posted on the Missouri River.

Negligent Homicide could very easily apply. They said CRIMINAL
charges, not traffic violations.

BB

Capt. Mooron

wrote in message

| Negligent Homicide could very easily apply. They said CRIMINAL
| charges, not traffic violations.

Kinda a sobering thought.... I wonder how they could make that case... is
the vessel able to undertake a wake crossing at 116 MPH??

Fastest I've ever gone was 75 MPH on an Ex USCG Tri-Hull with Twin 450
Volvos and counter rotating props. It still had the well for the hull
inspection apparatus. It was in service for Sail North in Yellowknife as a
commercial rescue and charter vessel. The name of the boat is "Tow Job"...
I'll allow you your imagination as to how it was hailed on VHF. We did a
call in some very rough weather with both the owner Mike Stillwell and
myself fully endorsing a full throttle attitude to the response. We launched
to airborne too many times to count. The response was to a large power boat
returning from the East Arm. They were out of gas and laying to anchor off a
reef... losing way. Aux. CG was on stand-by at dock and in contact. We got
them fuel and stood by on a tow line till they were able to get underway. If
I had gotten launched over the side in that water and drowned... could the
Captain be held responsible. I was invited. I accepted. I took no pay. I
understood the consequences of my actions. I was aware of the sea state [
lake state]. I was experienced with various vessels in those waters. I was
essentially a quest/crew that approved of the Captain's operating of the
vessel. I had the helm for a time and found the vessel handled well. It just
wouldn't be right to file charges against the Captain since in my case it
would apply that ..... " He knew the Job was Dangerous when He took It..."
[Super Chicken]

CM

Donal

wrote:

Some of those bad-assed boats are made to go that fast. Is is
criminally negligent to operate them that fast? If you are breaking
a posted speed limit and somebody dies in the process of flying
out of your boat then there is definitely negligence involved and it
can be negligent homicide. Some idiot who is not holding on or
wearing a seatbelt or life vest is at fault himself under the conditions
stated. I don't see what the operator can be charged with and have
it stick when it comes to a jury.

You are either very, very, ignorant, stupid beyond belief, or you are
hallucinating, if you think what you just posted sounds sane.

Sounds sane to me.

If you get into a high speed boat with a nutter, and you don't have a life
jacket on, then you run the risk of death.

If the deceased was a fare paying passenger, then I could see that the law
should *possibly* be involved. Otherwise, this is no more than further
proof that Darwin was right.

Regards

Donal

SAIL LOCO

Did they have a search warrent to look at the GPS?
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
SAIL LOCO

hummm 116mph find that kind of hard to believe ---

There's a guy on my creek with a go fast boat powered by twin jet turbo helo
engines. 170MPH.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport