none

Default can garm,in map76s output compass data thru NMEA option?

I am using the map76s as a spare gps for my nobeltec charting software on
my laptop BUT it doesn't 'seem' to be using nthe compass data exclusively.
When i turn the gps at a standstill the boat icon turns the same way but
the absolute value is way off...circa 30degrees. Normally when I am
moving the dynamic gps data keeps feeing me heading data but when i am
stopped the radar needs a heading to align the chart to the echos. [the
software is radarPC which is a chart with radar and gps data superimposed]

Is the a way to get the garmin to output that compass heading data or to
check and see if it actually is outputting but the software is not using
it?
thanks rick

Graham W

Danny wrote:

You need a heading sensor which should have come with the RADAR PC. Your GPS
will only give you heading while under way.

The GPSMAP76S has an electronic compass as well as a GPS.

"none" wrote:
I am using the map76s as a spare gps for my nobeltec charting software on
my laptop BUT it doesn't 'seem' to be using nthe compass data exclusively.
When i turn the gps at a standstill the boat icon turns the same way but
the absolute value is way off...circa 30degrees. Normally when I am
moving the dynamic gps data keeps feeing me heading data but when i am
stopped the radar needs a heading to align the chart to the echos. [the
software is radarPC which is a chart with radar and gps data superimposed]

Is the a way to get the garmin to output that compass heading data or to
check and see if it actually is outputting but the software is not using
it?

The heading based on the GPS PVT solution (eg: velocity) and the heading
from an electronic compass will have different 5 letter sentence names
in the NMEA data. If you can find these two different headers, you can
check your manual to see if the GPSMAP76S outputs both.
none

what, if you understand what i want why bother with the didactisism? it
makes you sound fixated and unflexable.
thanks to Bill for getting what i am looking for....ie, which direction is
my boat pointing so i can align my radar image with my chart so the
returns will be properly overlayed with the chart image? Once i am moving
the gps is quite capable of providing that same alignment.
Thanks anyways.
rick

On Wed, 12 May 2004 08:39:04 GMT, Karl Pollak wrote:

x-no-archive: yes
wrote:

His GPS has an internal compass and altimeter. It will give him a
heading while standing still.

If I could pick a little nit he You can't have a heading while you
are
standing still as heading is (the angle of) the direction of your travel.

The word you wanted to use is probably "bearing" or perhaps "azimuth".

--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/
none

true, and as far as the radar image is concerned it is set to look for
"heading"...even if that be stationary and we all...most of us, know that
is "pointing".
rick

On Wed, 12 May 2004 10:49:12 +0200, Carsten Kurz
wrote:

Karl Pollak schrieb:

x-no-archive: yes
wrote:

His GPS has an internal compass and altimeter. It will give him a
heading while standing still.

If I could pick a little nit he You can't have a heading while you
are
standing still as heading is (the angle of) the direction of your
travel.

Hmm, I would say that even the intention of directional movement could
be called 'heading' ;-)

- Carsten

--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/
none

since asking here i have got it working. the gps does put out $GPHDG which
is the gps general heading sentence. what i had to do was configure the
laptop program to prioritize the gps position data to come from one port
and the heading data to come form the other port, effectively ignoring the
map67s position sentences. it works well and considering the stationary
heading sensor (yes, that is what it is called) costs as much as the
map76s...the 76s is far better value.
rick

"none" wrote:
[...]

Dale DePriest

wrote:

On Tue, 11 May 2004 06:26:34 -0700, "Danny" wrote:

You need a heading sensor which should have come with the RADAR PC. Your GPS
will only give you heading while under way.

His GPS has an internal compass and altimeter. It will give him a
heading while standing still. There are settings in the GPS to specify
when the compass takes over from the GPS for heading data. The
settings are stated as something such as, "compass enabled after
traveling below x miles per hour for x minutes (or x seconds)". He
wants to know if he can get the internal compass to output to his PC
along with the GPS data.

The GPS outputs the compass value in a separate sentence in the NMEA
messages. Note that the compass is only accurate while the unit is held
horizontally.

Dale

BB

"none" wrote in message
news
I am using the map76s as a spare gps for my nobeltec charting software on
my laptop BUT it doesn't 'seem' to be using nthe compass data exclusively.
When i turn the gps at a standstill the boat icon turns the same way but
the absolute value is way off...circa 30degrees. Normally when I am
moving the dynamic gps data keeps feeing me heading data but when i am
stopped the radar needs a heading to align the chart to the echos. [the
software is radarPC which is a chart with radar and gps data superimposed]

Is the a way to get the garmin to output that compass heading data or to
check and see if it actually is outputting but the software is not using
it?
thanks rick

--
_ _ Dale DePriest