Simple Simon

Default GPS unit provides data to law enforcement

Criminal charges for what, I wonder. Stupidity? As far as I know there is no speed limit posted on the Missouri River.

"Gilligan" wrote in message link.net...
Drowning victim thrown from boat going 116 mph
Omaha World-Herald ^ | 7-15-03 | Susan Szalewski

Drowning victim thrown from boat going 116 mph

BY SUSAN SZALEWSKI WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

A Council Bluffs man who drowned in the Missouri River was thrown from a
boat traveling more than 100 mph, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office has
determined.

The Sheriff's Office said Monday that it would seek criminal charges against
the boat's driver, Edward Guyett of Omaha.

A passenger in the boat on May 31, Bruce Turner of Council Bluffs, was
ejected when the boat struck its own wake.

Rescuers and other boaters were unable to find Turner after he went
overboard. His body was found four days later.

The month-long Sheriff's Office investigation was unusual, Capt. Steve
Freese said, because data was available from a global positioning system on
the boat.

Experts from the system's manufacturer in Olathe, Kan., were able to
determine the boat's exact speed - 116 mph - as Turner fell overboard, he
said.

Neither Turner nor Guyett was wearing a life jacket, Freese said.