Bobsprit

Default Here Skitch

you telling me
these folks live to average life expectancies despite severe damage caused
by extended exposure to the sun??????

The people you listed have LE well below the average American.
Skin Cancer is a QOL effector more than a fatal disease in most cases.

RB
katysails

Default Here Katy, Katy, Katy

Yes, drinking too much water will kill you. Your cell structures explode.
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Peter Wiley

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message ...
"Peter Wiley" wrote in message
| Try tiger sharks if you want really scary. Vicious, large *and*
| common.

Yup... I was a commercial diver on a cable barge laying a line to an
island.... we saw over two dozen Tiger Sharks in a 4 day period there down
to 180 feet. We dove pairs to have one person keep an eye on curious
tigers... they where armed with CO2 shark spears which would theoretically
inflate a shark unpin striking with sufficient gas to keep it from being
"interested". We never used any of them.

My favourite were the Hammerheads in Pago Harbour.

Yeah, hammerheads are interesting. I dissected hundreds of them that
we caught using gillnets in the Arafura Sea. 4 main species down here,
of which Sphyrna mokarran is the biggest - large sickle shaped dorsal
fin, lemon coloured skin. I still have a set of jaws from one which I
measured at 15 feet from tip of snout to fork of tail. Biggest one we
ever caught; my boss was always trying to get the jaws off me for his
collection. He still works on sharks for CSIRO Marine Research.

Off Tasmania, I think we only get S. zygaena, maybe S. lewini in the
summer months. White pointers of course, they're regulars around Bruny
Island because of the seals & penguins (plus the odd surfer...)

I saw lots of sharks
while tacking zincs to Korean Longliners at the Star-Kist Plant. Many
different varieties.... The boats were docked next to the outfall from the
processing plant... guts and tidbits all around and usually a feeding frenzy
going on somewhere nearby. I was never attacked by any of the sharks....
although some would show aggressive behaviour by dropping their pectorals
and arching their backs while making quick zig zag motions near me... that's

Good move. I still have a couple of shark killing powerheads in my
bits collection somewhere, a 12G shotgun shell one and a .303 rifle
one. Never had to use either one in anger but even when I was a keen
spearfishing type, I used a float on 40' of line and kept the fish
clipped to the float. In the tropics off the Wessel Islands if we
scored a crayfish, we'd hop out of the water PDQ. The tail flapping
always but always attracted a curious shark.

Sharks & crocs have never worried me greatly. OTOH I was never happy
about bears when I hiked in the States. What you know....

PDW
Peter Wiley

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message ...
remember when they claimed 'mothers' milk' was bad for babies?

Some is, but only because it's loaded with man-made chemicals that
have accumulated in the fatty tissues. DDT comes to mind for one. The
big scandal is companies like Nestles and the like who try to convince
people in 3rd World countries that breast feeding is bad so they can
grow a market for formula, both worse nutritionally and costly.

Bottle fed babies are an artifact of Western society.

Scotty

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
That's as disputed as anything causing cancer in mice because they were
subjected to abnormal amounts of any substance.

20 years ago they claimed eating more than 2 eggs a week would guarantee a
heart attack..... now they figured out there are two kinds of cholesterol.
Suddenly eating eggs is good for you. Now they say milk is bad for you.

They
claimed drinking any type of alcohol was unhealthy... now they revised

that
and claim that some alcohol is actually good for you.

Look Bob... a Tan is a normal healthy reaction to exposure to the sun. We
are born naked and learned to deal with our environment. What sent the
cancer rates soaring are the idiots who bake in grease for 3 hours a day

in
the noon day sun to alter the colour of their skin.... victims of

fashion.

It is now becoming once again fashionable to be alabaster white like it

was
in the Victorian times. This too will fade away in time.....

I would suggest to you that since you live in a highly artificial
environment and are subject to media over-exposure of the current trends

in
fashion, dieting, thinking and moods of the scientific community... your
time should be better spent on concerns to the damage that breathing all

the
carcinogenic compounds saturated in your city atmosphere will cause....
rather than natural sunlight and fresh air.

CM

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
| Okay Mooron, enough of this. Tanning is a bad thing. Tan sking ALWAYS

indicates
| some level of damage.
|
| Providing a definition of "tanning" isn't as stupid as it seems. A

tan
| occurs when the skin absorbs ultraviolet radiation (commonly called "UV

rays").
| As a response, the skin produces a substance known as melanin, which

darkens
| the skin's outer layers. While many believe that a tan makes us appear
| healthier, a tan is actually a sign that the skin has been damaged. It's
| similar to the beginning stages of a burn.
|
| And there you have it.
|
| RB

The_navigator_©

So will Booby be free of wet rot as well?

Cheers MC

Peter Wiley wrote:

Some is, but only because it's loaded with man-made chemicals that
have accumulated in the fatty tissues. DDT comes to mind for one.

Jonathan Ganz

Tofu Turkeys? No way! Fat Boy is pure bull(****)

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
Look Buckwheat...... I wouldn't use those things..... something that

gives
you an orange tan can't be good for you. But heck.. you're in La La Land
anyway. Nuke-A-Tan is a fashion victim enterprise.

Heh look Wheat Germ..... if you like alabaster white... that's just fine
by me, go for it. Just don't try to justify your fashion trends by
erroneously stating that natural light and unprotected exposure to natural
elements is unhealthy..... you'll start sounding like one of those Tofu
Turkeys from California...... OOPS!

CM

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
| No. UV is bad for the skin. A lot of people think
| that those tanning booths are better because you
| can get a controlled tan. They're wrong.
|
| "Simple Simon" wrote in message
|

| Simply absorbing UV does not harm the skin. If this were
| the case evolution would have provided scales or something.
|
| Too much UV can harm the skin and too much UV causes
| a burn. Acceptable amounts of UV cause a tan which is
| NOT harmful in any way. What you are seeing is a pigment
| and not damage.
|

| "Bobsprit" wrote in message
| Okay Mooron, enough of this. Tanning is a bad thing. Tan sking

ALWAYS
| indicates
| some level of damage.
|
| Providing a definition of "tanning" isn't as stupid as it seems.

| tan
| occurs when the skin absorbs ultraviolet radiation (commonly called
"UV
| rays").
| As a response, the skin produces a substance known as melanin, which
| darkens
| the skin's outer layers. While many believe that a tan makes us

appear
| healthier, a tan is actually a sign that the skin has been damaged.
It's
| similar to the beginning stages of a burn.
|
| And there you have it.
|
| RB

Jonathan Ganz

How would you know anyway, pale woman that you are?
The sun only shines 2 days a year where you are, and I'm
sure you're hiding in the baseman in fear.

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
Really Buckwheat...... so tell me what the instances of melanoma are for
Samoans?, .... okay how about the Bantu in Republic of Congo.... what
about the Aborigine of Australia.... the Maori of NZ.... you telling me
these folks live to average life expectancies despite severe damage caused
by extended exposure to the sun??????

Look Alfalfa... you are really way too brain washed by California hype to
allow for an intelligent opinion on this matter.... so I'll let you get
back to basting your tofu slices with organic carrot juice.

CM

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
| Some people are less susceptible to the damaging effects than
| others. Everyone has some damage from exposure to the sun.

Jonathan Ganz

How would you know? The amount of alcohol has pickled
your brain to the extent that if your body did die, your brain
wouldn't know it for 20 minutes.

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
Can't be done Wheat germ........ no way, not in a month of Sundays will
drinking water kill you in and of itself.... you'll get light headed and
pass out before you can kill yourself.

CM

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
| If you drink enough...
|
| "Scott Vernon" wrote in message
| drinking water will kill you????????????
|
| "Simple Simon" wrote
| Sure water will kill you if you try to breath it or if you
| drink four gallons of it a day.

Capt. Mooron

You're starting to sound like Danny Taddei......

CM

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
| How would you know anyway, pale woman that you are?
| The sun only shines 2 days a year where you are, and I'm
| sure you're hiding in the baseman in fear.
|
| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
| Really Buckwheat...... so tell me what the instances of melanoma are
for
| Samoans?, .... okay how about the Bantu in Republic of Congo.... what
| about the Aborigine of Australia.... the Maori of NZ.... you telling
me
| these folks live to average life expectancies despite severe damage
caused
| by extended exposure to the sun??????
|
| Look Alfalfa... you are really way too brain washed by California hype
| allow for an intelligent opinion on this matter.... so I'll let you
get
| back to basting your tofu slices with organic carrot juice.
|
| CM
|

| "Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
| | Some people are less susceptible to the damaging effects than
| | others. Everyone has some damage from exposure to the sun.

Capt. Mooron

Now that's much better Buck Wheat..... quick, insulting and without the
usual homosexual references.

I knew you could do it if you got a good set-up. One of these days you'll
get your "fins" and be able to work without a net.

Go get'em Ganz!!