Simple Simon

Default how a sail works, who can help me explain?

I need to know your measurements, please.
Include the circumference of your neck as
that is supposed to be the best indicator of
an overweight condition. Fat neck = fat head.

"katysails" wrote in message ...
How a sail owrks: Big stick...big piece of cloth....wind.....wind pushes boat...what else do you need to know/

dowra

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Katysails, wind does not push boat, sail causes vacuum on leeward
side, sail gets sucked into vacuum, pulls boat with it.
Forget all the other stuff, this is all you need to know.
Dowra.
Capt. Mooron

"dowra" wrote in message

| Katysails, wind does not push boat, sail causes vacuum on leeward
| side, sail gets sucked into vacuum, pulls boat with it.
| Forget all the other stuff, this is all you need to know.
| Dowra.

Oh Geee Whizz-z-z-z No wonder I feel like I can't seem to get a breath on
that side of the boat. It also explains the oxygen masks deploying on the
leeward side on those upgrade high tech boats...... it does nothing to
explain why you can't navigate a known channel without going aground.

Calling Sea Tow..... calling Sea Tow.........

CM

Donal

"dowra" wrote in message
om...
Katysails, wind does not push boat, sail causes vacuum on leeward
side, sail gets sucked into vacuum, pulls boat with it.

Be very careful the next time you get an itchy ear. The vacuum might
"suck" your finger right in!

Forget all the other stuff, this is all you need to know.

So after you get sucked onto the mud, Sea Tow come and suck you off
again????

Regards

Donal

Thomas Stewart

Some questions on Lift as applied to sail?

If Bernoulli is wrong and Newton's Law of ACTION & REACTION is what
creates Lift, why then , when a sail is at maximum lift do the tell-tale
at the leech of the sail stream back off the sail, as describe by
Bernouli and not fly at a 90 degree angle as described by Newton's
downdraft and updraft?

If Newton's Law of Action & Reaction is correct (I'm not saying it is
wrong) then the action has to be on the convex side of the sail (
Action- downdraft) to create the reaction on the concave side (Reaction-
Updraft or Lift) Why then do we look for the tell-tales to be streaming
backwards when sailing. Seems to me they should be forced straight into
the sail in various direction

Also, If Newton's Law is correct that should make the convex side of the
sail the windward side and the concave side the Lee side (
Action_Reaction) How can this be if the boat is traveling in the
direction of the convex side ( The Newtonian windward side)

If, as Pim, logic of a flat sail is the desired shape for upwind
performance, then why wouldn't a flat piece of plywood work best when
tacking up wind? ( Just maybe, Bernoulli isn't wrong for how a sail
works?)

These are some question in my mind. Maybe some of you Flight Wizards
have answer for me before I completely abandon " Bernoulli"

Ole Thom

Thomas Stewart

Lift is to air as Buoyance is to water
Oh Oh! Maybe in lighter than air.
Newton's second Law is; Lift= mA.
The mA is for;
m= mass
A= acceleration

Buoyance needs no acceleration.

Ole Thom

Donal

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

How is measuring the actual length of travel a molecule
takes on its journey across the top of the foil as opposed
to across the bottom of the foil amount to nonsense?

I'm simply pointing out that the air doesn't travel different distances on
both sides of the sail.

The flow of the air gets interrupted by the sail. As the air hits the sail
on the windward side, it gets deflected and slowed down. The energy that
has now been removed from the wind has transferred to the sail. i.e. the
wind is "pushing" the sail.

On the leeward side, the air is trying to flow away from the sail, thus
creating "pull". As the angle of the sail comes close to head on to the
wind, a point is reached where turbulence decreases and the air flows
smoothly across both surfaces, but you still have the "push" and "pull"
forces working. This is the point where the sail is working efficiently.

You don't need complicated formulae to understand this. You certainly don't
need Bernouili.

Regards

Donal

Simple Simon

"Thomas Stewart" wrote in message ...
These are some question in my mind. Maybe some of you Flight Wizards
have answer for me before I completely abandon " Bernoulli"

You may as well abandon Bernouilli (note correct spelling) because
you have already abandoned reason. Your motor sailer proves it.

jlrogers

Default how a sail works, Windtunnel Tests.

Maybe this will help everybody:

http://www.wb-sails.fi/news/99_4_Win...es/Movies.htm#

"Thomas Stewart" wrote in message ...
Lift is to air as Buoyance is to water