Simple Simon

Default how a sail works, who can help me explain?

He's not saying air has a fixed structure. Rather, he is saying
there is some depth to the flow of the air around the shape
of the foil. It is not just a couple of molecules thick and
as one increases the distance from the foil the air molecules
are still existing at increased distances from each other
and the pressure is lowered because of this lower
density.

"Oz1" wrote in message ...
On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:44:16 GMT, "Wally" wrote:

If the same lump of air that was split at the leading edge is reconstituted
at the trailing edge, then those molecules that passed around the outer
surface 100mm away *must* have travelled faster than those that passed the
inner surface 100mm distant.

And that's where your theory falls down!
You assume that the air is some kind of lego block toy that has a
fixed structure and that after passing over the foil it must once
again lock back into that same structure.
If that were so how would you explain turbulence and vortices

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Wally

"Oz1" wrote in message

If the same lump of air that was split at the leading edge is

reconstituted
at the trailing edge, then those molecules that passed around the outer
surface 100mm away *must* have travelled faster than those that passed

the
inner surface 100mm distant.

And that's where your theory falls down!
You assume that the air is some kind of lego block toy that has a
fixed structure and that after passing over the foil it must once
again lock back into that same structure.

That bit isn't a theory, it's a qualified proposition.

If that were so how would you explain turbulence and vortices

Summink to wiv fings gettng in the way.

--
Wally
I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!

Thomas Stewart

Suck Dowra Suck!! Blow is only a figure of speech G G

Yap, the old ways are the best way???

Are you sure Newton's first three laws do not apply???

Ole Thom

PIM

"Thomas Stewart" wrote:
Us sailors use tell-tales which tend to confirm Bernoulli to our own
eyes

If we(I) am wrong please tell me and give a visual example.

Ole Thom

If sail is set optimal according to the theory I use,
the tell-taless at the leech will stream nicely to astern.

Because that is what we(I) want,
direct as much wind to astern, so pushing yourself forward.

If your tell tales on the leech are not streaming to astern,
it means that the wind is not directed to astern,
and that you could do better.

I use the Coanda effect only to explain why the airflow
follows (or separates) the sail on the leeward side.

And yes, the air on leeward moves faster,
Not because the path is longer,
but because the air upwind from the sail is being sucked to the lower
pressure on the leeward, and pushed away from the higher pressure on the
windward part of the sail, what ofcourse will result in more airflow at
leeward, and thus a higher speed on leeward.
(This is called "circulation" in most theories)
so, tell-tales do not only confirm "Bernoulli", but also the theory I use.

I do not use the classic "newtonian" theory.
but again, what I use is on www.sailtheory.com/sail.html

Best regards,
Pim

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
PIM

maybe I should get drunk to understand the "bernoulli" theory ;-) %-)

"Donal" wrote:

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
. We may carry on
like a bunch of drunks the majority of the time but we know
our sailing!!!

How True! I am drunk!

Regards

Donal

Posted by news://news.nb.nu

Thomas Stewart

Donal,

"Bernoulli" says an increase in velocity produces a lower pressure. That
is also what you are saying. Isn't it?
Ole Thom

Wally

"Oz1" wrote in message

If that were so how would you explain turbulence and vortices

Summink to wiv fings gettng in the way.

You sure it's not the lego blocks playing 'end of intermission at the
theatre' and struggling to get into exactly the same place they were
in before they were seperated by the foil

I'm no fluid dynamicist and my sailing experience is limited, but I'm
willing to have a go at working it out. I'm not in the slightest bit sure,
offering naught more than a qualified hypothesis. I make no more elevated
claim than that.

--
Wally
I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!
www.art-gallery.myby.co.uk

dowra

"Donal" wrote in message ...
"dowra" wrote in message

I have made my statement about vacuum, can either of you assholes prove me wrong?
I don't think so!
ONCE AGAIN I AM DOWRA THE GREAT!
PS. Donal, don't even bother to post, you are more of a dolt than yf moron(oo)
Dowra the all knowing!
Thomas Stewart

Default how a sail works, Windtunnel Tests.

Don't work for Ole Thom either. What are they trying to show? It seem to
indicate an over trim of both jib and main. If the maun was eased and
the slot open some I think things would clear up?

As it is, what are we looking at.. Is the votex being caused by the
slot? Is the tell-tales showing separation on the windward side. The way
the tails are behaving there is no sign of coanda effect, they are
lifting but still pointing back????

Ole Thom

PIM

"Simple Simon" wrote:
The prime motive force occurs on the leeward side of the
sail and not on the windward side as PIM is attempting
to suggest.

I am not suggsting that the sailforce comes from the windward side alone,
The leeward side is also very effective in deflecting the wind.
(Actually I suggest the leeward side is a little more important, because
there is more air on the leeward, because it has been sucked to the leeward
side.)
again, this is on my website under www.sailtheory.com/sail.html

Under PIMs scenario there would be no tip
vortex.

I explain tipvortex!
www.sailtheory.com/sail.html#tipvortexes

Again you suggest I wrote things I have never wrote.
please read my site a little more thoroughly,
before you commment its contents wrongly.

Best regards,
Pim
www.sailtheory.com

--