posted to rec.boats.building

Default Polyester vs Epoxy resin for dinghy/kayak construction?

I am planning to build a hard dodger for my sailboat. I'm fairly
mechanically skilled, and accustomed to working with my hands, but
have never worked with fiberglass repair/construction.

So I'm planning to make a dinghy or kayak before I make the dodger, to
gain some experience.

So far I like the Foamee Glen-L dinghy, it's a foam and fiberglass
construction, which I like because of the fair lines (good for
dodger). Search the 'net for links, I'm not promoting it..

Two questions..

What are the relative merits of polyester resin vs epoxy resin?

Any recommendations on other dingy plans or kayak plans which have
smooth lines instead of the hard corners seen with plywood
construction?

Thanks,
-Koos

On Aug 20, 1:01 pm, Paul Oman wrote:
wrote:
I am planning to build a hard dodger for my sailboat. I'm fairly
mechanically skilled, and accustomed to working with my hands, but
have never worked with fiberglass repair/construction.

So I'm planning to make a dinghy or kayak before I make the dodger, to
gain some experience.

So far I like the Foamee Glen-L dinghy, it's a foam and fiberglass
construction, which I like because of the fair lines (good for
dodger). Search the 'net for links, I'm not promoting it..

Two questions..

What are the relative merits of polyester resin vs epoxy resin?

Any recommendations on other dingy plans or kayak plans which have
smooth lines instead of the hard corners seen with plywood
construction?

Thanks,
-Koos

Epoxy resins don't dissolve foam but I believe polyester resins do.
Your options would seem to be a small boat or a puddle of foam goo.

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers

Very good! That's helps me with that question.

Anyone with suggestions on alternate plans, dinghy or kayak with
smooth lines?

Thanks,
-Koos.

wrote:
[...]

-Koos.- Hide quoted text -

I use this site for info on constructions methods for my outrigger
canoe project. He has a few plywood kayak designs.

http://oneoceankayaks.com/stitchglue/stitchkayaks.htm

wrote:

What are the relative merits of polyester resin vs epoxy resin?

Trying to compare polyester and woven roving to epoxy and knitted
glass is like trying to compare oranges and apples.

Both are "fiberglass" laminates, but the similarity ends there.

About the best you get is 35%glass/65%resin using woven roving, mat,
and polyester.

OTOH, it is quite common to get a 50%glass/50%resin using knitted
glass and epoxy. This laminate does not require any mat.

Bottom line....................

Polyester/roving produces a rather brittle, heavy laminate.

Epoxy/knitted glass produces a more ductile, lighter weight laminate.

Pound for pound, polyester and woven roving cost less per pound, but
you use more pounds, so the cost differences tend to disappear.

Epoxy, knitted glass and a 1/2" Airex foam core would produce a very
light weight, bullet proof, dinghy or kayak.

Just remember three things.

1)You will buy a commercial dinghy for less money than you will spend
to build one.

2)You build one because you want to do it.

3)Once you use epoxy and knitted glass, you will never consider
polyester again.

Lew

posted to rec.boats.building
Senior Member

On Aug 20, 8:18 pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

3)Once you use epoxy and knitted glass, you will never consider
polyester again.

Lew

You got that right!!

posted to rec.boats.building

wrote in message
ups.com...
Anyone with suggestions on alternate plans, dinghy or kayak with
smooth lines?

Ian Oughtred's Puffin?

See www.customware.nl/boats
And that one is entirely glued with epoxy.

Meindert