Courtney Thomas

Default vacuum-bagging an E-glass/polyester resin hull with a bi-axial S-glass epoxy laminate........

Can this be done ?

If yes, who has done it?

Thank you.
--
Courtney Thomas
s/v Mutiny

ddinc

Can you be more specific?

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message
Can this be done ?

If yes, who has done it?

Thank you.
--
Courtney Thomas
s/v Mutiny

Glenn Ashmore

I do not think it can be done or if you try the risks are mighty high.
Polyester does not give you enough open time to place the glass properly
and get the bag sealed and drawn down. The only controls you have are
the temperature and the amount of MEKP and they have to be held to very
exact tollerances.

You can do it with resin infusion but trying to arrange the feed lines
and vacuum ports for even flow is a black art without some guidance.
There are volumes written on the various proprietary processes but the
volumes are not cheap and don't really tell you everything.

Courtney Thomas wrote:
Can this be done ?

If yes, who has done it?

Thank you.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Michael O'Dell

In article h67Eb.6455$JD6.6228@lakeread04,
Glenn Ashmore wrote:

I do not think it can be done or if you try the risks are mighty high.
Polyester does not give you enough open time to place the glass properly
and get the bag sealed and drawn down. The only controls you have are
the temperature and the amount of MEKP and they have to be held to very
exact tollerances.

You can do it with resin infusion but trying to arrange the feed lines
and vacuum ports for even flow is a black art without some guidance.
There are volumes written on the various proprietary processes but the
volumes are not cheap and don't really tell you everything.

Courtney Thomas wrote:
Can this be done ?

If yes, who has done it?

Thank you.

it's far easier to do this with epoxy than poly or vinlyester resins.
MAS makes a slow hardener that can give you as much time as want.
even so, practice on some simple things before doing something
this ambitious. the cost of the epoxy is small compared to
everything else.

-mo
Courtney Thomas

I'll try.

I have a 40' boat whose solid fiberglass construction was with
E-glass/polyester resin.

I am seeking information regarding the possibility of 'strengthening'
the hull by laminating it with an S-glass triaxial 'mat' and epoxy resin
using vacuum bagging to apply.

Courtney

ddinc wrote:

Can you be more specific?

"Courtney Thomas" wrote in message

Can this be done ?

If yes, who has done it?

Thank you.
--
Courtney Thomas
s/v Mutiny
lying Oriental, NC
WDB5619

--
Courtney Thomas
s/v Mutiny
lying Oriental, NC
WDB5619

FRP

May I ask why you are considering epoxy and vacuum bagging so strongly ?

How old is the boat and what makes you believe that it needs more strength
in the hull?

There are other alternatives to this particular combination but I am
interested in what lead you to it initially.

frp
up the road in "The County"

Courtney Thomas

Thank you Michael.

That was my understanding about epoxy usage, as well.

I'm unconcerned about the cost of the resin vis-a-vis all that is
involved here.

Cordially,
Courtney