posted to rec.boats.building

Default Polyester Resin, Please help

I'm a New Bee. I like to build my boat for the first time. I want to know if
I can use polyester resin for the 'stitch and glue' method. This is the only
material available and affordable in my place.
Thanks.

mscres@fda wrote:
I'm a New Bee. I like to build my boat for the first time. I want
to know if I can use polyester resin for the 'stitch and glue'
method. This is the only material available and affordable in my
place.
Thanks.

It doesn't have sufficient strength IMO. Epoxy resin can be ordered,
price isn't that bad.
http://www.uscomposites.com/

--?

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

posted to rec.boats.building

Generally not used -- however, Glen L Marine Designs says "Some of the
smallest designs offer Polyester options. As a rule, we do not
recommend polyester for filleting, however, we do feel it is acceptable
on these boats. When using a polyester Stitch-N-Glue Kit, the wood is
not encapsulated (coated with resin). Polyester coatings, applied
without cloth, will crack."

mscres@fda wrote:
I'm a New Bee. I like to build my boat for the first time. I want to
know if I can use polyester resin for the 'stitch and glue' method. This
is the only material available and affordable in my place.

You can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Polyester resin is not an adhesive
and it's not designed for bonding fiberglass to wood.

"Brian Nystrom" skrev i en meddelelse
mscres@fda wrote:
I'm a New Bee. I like to build my boat for the first time. I want to know
if I can use polyester resin for the 'stitch and glue' method. This is
the only material available and affordable in my place.

You can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Polyester resin is not an adhesive
and it's not designed for bonding fiberglass to wood.

I use epoxy now, but in the good old days out in the sticks in S Africa
where epoxy was not easily/cheaply available, I used polyester for stitch
and glue on dinghies, and for glassing the hulls of my plywood cat., never
had a failure.
My conclusion is- if you can get epoxy use it, otherwise use polyester, and
be aware that there may be an adhesion problem.
HTH
Bob Larder

posted to rec.boats.building

I'm a New Bee. I like to build my boat for the first time. I want to know
if I can use polyester resin for the 'stitch and glue' method. This is
the only material available and affordable in my place.

You can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Polyester resin is not an adhesive
and it's not designed for bonding fiberglass to wood.

I use epoxy now, but in the good old days out in the sticks in S Africa
where epoxy was not easily/cheaply available, I used polyester for stitch
and glue on dinghies, and for glassing the hulls of my plywood cat., never
had a failure.
My conclusion is- if you can get epoxy use it, otherwise use polyester, and
be aware that there may be an adhesion problem.

-------------

About the adhesion problem of polyester resin and wood,

from personal experience and from tales from my customers, the adhesion
seems to fail say 5 - 10 years down the line.

paul oman
progressive epoxy polymers
www.epoxyproducts.com/marine.html

mscres@fda wrote:
I'm a New Bee. I like to build my boat for the first time. I want
to know if I can use polyester resin for the 'stitch and glue'
method. This is the only material available and affordable in my
place.

You can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Polyester resin is not an
adhesive and it's not designed for bonding fiberglass to wood.

I use epoxy now, but in the good old days out in the sticks in S
Africa where epoxy was not easily/cheaply available, I used polyester
for stitch and glue on dinghies, and for glassing the hulls of my
plywood cat., never had a failure. My conclusion is- if you can get
epoxy use it, otherwise use polyester, and be aware that there may
be an adhesion problem. HTH Bob Larder

If you deside on epoxy I would suggest System 3. I was using West
System and when I run out I switched. I can get System 3 locally
(Woodcraft) and it cleans up with white viniger or rubbing alcohol
which a whole lot cheaper than acetone. Ihave no connection with System
3. It's just easier for me to obtain. Jim

posted to rec.boats.building

James,
Both West System or System 3 clean up very well with white vinegar.
West does not even suggest using acetone for cleanup.

I gave up on polyester for repairs, woodwork or anything that requires a
strong bond after a couple of failure one of which was quite spectacular.

I have used both, but find that I take advantage of the support the
Gougeon's provide to help me out really strange problems I find my way
into.

When you look at the entire cost of any project, the resin only shows up
as noise.

Matt Colie

mscres@fda wrote:

[...]

If you want it to stay together then use epoxy.
The polyester resin works well enough on fiberglass cloth alone.
Even then it can have problems. Think of all those blister bubbles
under the gel coat where the styrene is mixing into solution with the
water.
Polyester resin very slowly degrades itself in water.

I tried using it for some repairs on wood, but it just does not last.

James wrote:
I can get System 3 locally
(Woodcraft) and it cleans up with white viniger or rubbing alcohol
which a whole lot cheaper than acetone.

That's true of any epoxy. BTW, denatured alcohol works better than
isopropyl and it's even cheaper.

Polyester William R. Watt Boat Building 0 November 25th 05 03:14 PM
Polyester dadiOH Boat Building 0 November 25th 05 02:12 PM
Using epoxy & polyester resins on the same boat? CARSON AXTELL Boat Building 5 July 16th 05 05:02 AM
Polyester Resin Shelf Life [email protected] Boat Building 3 July 14th 05 02:44 PM
Polyester or epoxy resin Parallax Boat Building 16 October 23rd 04 07:13 PM