posted to rec.boats.building
Robert Larder Robert Larder is offline

Default Polyester Resin, Please help

"Brian Nystrom" skrev i en meddelelse
news:bz1Kg.45$242.40@trndny06...
mscres@fda wrote:
I'm a New Bee. I like to build my boat for the first time. I want to know
if I can use polyester resin for the 'stitch and glue' method. This is
the only material available and affordable in my place.

You can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Polyester resin is not an adhesive
and it's not designed for bonding fiberglass to wood.

I use epoxy now, but in the good old days out in the sticks in S Africa
where epoxy was not easily/cheaply available, I used polyester for stitch
and glue on dinghies, and for glassing the hulls of my plywood cat., never
had a failure.
My conclusion is- if you can get epoxy use it, otherwise use polyester, and
be aware that there may be an adhesion problem.
HTH
Bob Larder