posted to rec.boats.building
dadiOH

Default Polyester

Michiel wrote:
Hello,

I'm going to need to do some work with polyester and fiberglass. I
will probably be replacing the core in my deck with solid fiberglass.

I've previously only worked with epoxy. It seems that this should be
straightforward?

Polyester is easier IMO.

Just keep in mind that it won't cure completely if exposed to air.
Which is good when you are doing multiple layers, no/little surface
prep. For finish coat either get "finishing resin" or add wax...the wax
comes to surface, keeps air away, surface cures completely, easy
sanding.
________________

Polyester resin and fiberglass cloth are available everywhere. Are
there any important differences in quality/properties or could I just
get the stuff sold at Home Depot (Evercoat, I think) and work with
that?

Not all resin is created the same. You might want to consider
vinylester.
_________________

- and then of course, where to get resin and mat inexpensively.

Check out...
http://www.uscomposites.com/

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Polyester Matt Colie Boat Building 9 January 31st 06 11:21 PM
keel strip Ed General 11 November 5th 05 04:52 AM
wax and fiberglass/polyester resin [email protected] Cruising 20 October 17th 05 10:37 PM