Default wax and fiberglass/polyester resin

I notice on the bottle of polyester resin I got that it says not to mix
the stuff in a waxed paper cup. It's in bold too, so it seems
important. Not only was that how I was going to mix it, but I was going
to lay the material on some wax paper so it won't get glued to the
floor. I have used 2 part epoxy in this fashion and it has worked well
(the epoxy cures and was too flexible, so I'm using polyester.). Does
wax react poorly with polyester resin?

Rich Hampel

There are two types of Polyester resin for fiberglass:
1. Laminating resin .... contains wax that comes to the surface when
curing so that the next layer fully bonds ... the wax is an 'air
inhibitor'. Laminating resins will always feel sticky to the touch
because of the wax. This wax is soluable in liquid polyester.
2. Finishing resin ... contains NO wax and when exposed to air while
curing forms a hard surface

What you have is probably finishing resin .... and any contact with wax
will change it.

So, you cant use wax anywhere near a finishing resin or you'll
contaminate it and begin to turn it into a laminating resin ...... but
you can use SARAN to keep it sticking where you dont want it to.

In article .com,
wrote:

I notice on the bottle of polyester resin I got that it says not to mix
the stuff in a waxed paper cup. It's in bold too, so it seems
important. Not only was that how I was going to mix it, but I was going
to lay the material on some wax paper so it won't get glued to the
floor. I have used 2 part epoxy in this fashion and it has worked well
(the epoxy cures and was too flexible, so I'm using polyester.). Does
wax react poorly with polyester resin?

Glenn Ashmore

The solvents in polyester resin dissolves wax and the wax prevents bonding
of the next coat. It will eat Styrofoam cups too. Been there, done that,
got the mess on the shop floor to prove it. I eat a lot of cream cheese and
Jell-O pudding just for the plastic cups. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
I notice on the bottle of polyester resin I got that it says not to mix
the stuff in a waxed paper cup. It's in bold too, so it seems
important. Not only was that how I was going to mix it, but I was going
to lay the material on some wax paper so it won't get glued to the
floor. I have used 2 part epoxy in this fashion and it has worked well
(the epoxy cures and was too flexible, so I'm using polyester.). Does
wax react poorly with polyester resin?

So PVDC will peel right off?

Ian Malcolm

Rich Hampel wrote:

There are two types of Polyester resin for fiberglass:
1. Laminating resin .... contains wax that comes to the surface when
curing so that the next layer fully bonds ... the wax is an 'air
inhibitor'. Laminating resins will always feel sticky to the touch
because of the wax. This wax is soluable in liquid polyester.
2. Finishing resin ... contains NO wax and when exposed to air while
curing forms a hard surface

What you have is probably finishing resin .... and any contact with wax
will change it.

So, you cant use wax anywhere near a finishing resin or you'll
contaminate it and begin to turn it into a laminating resin ...... but
you can use SARAN to keep it sticking where you dont want it to.

Beg Pardon. I belive you have got it the wrong way round. Last time I
looked at a can of wax in styrene it was to be added to gelcoat or even
laminating resin for the final coat if it was to harden in contact with
air without leaving a tacky surface and was NOT for laminating.

Anyway the OP should just go out and buy a big pack of cheap
PolyPropylene cups. That's 5 or PP in the recycling triangle on the
base. Suitable for nearly all paints ,resins, glues and solvents you are
likely to meet working on boats.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.
Glenn Ashmore

So PVDC will peel right off?

I don't know that I would risk it with household Saran wrap. Being very
thin it can tear and leave little bits that are the devil to get off. I
made that mistake with a Saran peelply that was to thin. I needed a lot of
stretch for that particular part. It stretched fine but came off in strips.
Nylon would have been much better.

I generally don't like films as a curing barrier for polyester. A wax
sanding aid additive works better and doesn't disturb the surface.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

So I don't know who to listen to. Will wax paper leave me with a
unsuitably sticky surface when cured?
Wax paper would be easier for me to work with than saran.

Meye5

your a moron it should be common sense. you dont need details
explanations to fiqure this one out.